Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Trying out topwaters. Should I be worried about northern teeth?
LSF Member
I'm a novice, trying out topwaters up in Voyageurs over the holiday weekend. I'll be in a few portage lakes known for large mouth bass.

Will northerns strike my lures?. How often would a northern strike break my line? I'm using 12-pound mono onto 2.75" poppers and props, and I do not want to lose the few lures I'll be bringing. I've read leaders are detrimental to topwater fishing, but I'm unaware of the severity.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on: 5/22 19:13:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Trying out topwaters. Should I be worried about northern teeth?
LSF Member
From Minnesota
If you run a buzz bait you should be ok. If you run topwater without a leader you will be taking your chances. Bring some short 6" wire leaders and give them a shot.

Posted on: 5/22 20:05:11

LSF Member
Wire leaders will hedge your bet against losing your lure to a pike, but it will definitely mess up the action of your topwater.

If it was me... Pike will hit topwater, but are less likely to hit topwater than they are to hit diving baits like a tail dancer, shad rap, or spinner bait. 12lb test is good. A little heavier (17) might be better, but 12 is good strong line. I'd bring a few extra lures, set my drag stiff to get fish into the boat quickly and directly without a lot of head-thrashing, and retie often - definitely after every pike, walleye, or larger bass. If doing that or using a steel leader are my two choices, I'd avoid the steel leader.

Obviously it's your choice, and your mileage may vary.

Posted on: 5/22 20:26:35

LSF Member
I have been making small 3-5" fluorocarbon leaders that seem so work great. I.catch a lot of bass and northern without losing lures due to bite offs. I use 50lb flouro. That's just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 5/22 20:45:17

LSF Member
A heavier test flouro or braid leader is another excellent idea. When tying lines of different type/diameter, this knot works well...

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.png&Website=www.animatedknots.com#ScrollPoint

Posted on: 5/22 21:34:33

LSF Member
From central mn
using a heavy mono for a leader won't stop a line break if a pike or ski inhales your bait,a line nick is just that and creates a weak point in your line and results in a break.Just a thought.

I suggest throwing buzz baits early and late in the day,flat water then switch out to 7" plastic worms working weeded/pad areas and or edges,sinko's.whacky style or inline carolina rigged.

Tie your main line right to your lure of choice and get after'em,losing bait or lure is part of the game,its all fun regardless if ya lose a lure.

Posted on: 5/23 13:28:04

LSF Member
From Forest Lake
I wouldn't worry. Very seldom do fish take the whole lure plus the line in their mouth. Unless the lures are rare.

Good luck

Posted on: 5/23 17:22:37

LSF Member
Thanks, folks. We'll see how it goes and I'll start making fluoro leaders if I lose one. Bought myself a couple buzzbaits, too.

Looks like Voyageurs be overcast and rainy with negligible wind speed for the better part of the long weekend.

Posted on: 5/24 3:54:33

LSF Member
I use buzz baits and other topwater on the river targeting northerns and cant remember the last time I list a lure.
I use 20lb powerpro

Posted on: 5/24 4:02:11

LSF Member
From 320
I run 10-15lb spider braid straight to any top water lure and have never lost a single one. Couple pike can ruin the skirts quickly but otherwise never had any issues

Posted on: 5/24 10:04:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page