Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Tipping fishing captains/guides?
LSF Member
We have a trip coming up this summer in which we will be fishing with guides(captains), and my wife and I are trying to figure out if tipping them is normal. The reason we are unsure, is because when we went on an offshore fishing trip a couple years ago, we tipped the backhand, but not the captain.

What are everyone else's experiences with this.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 5/25 15:16:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tipping fishing captains/guides?
LSF Member
Depends where your going I guess? My experience is depending on how well the captain is with the group and how far he goes out of his way determines how much of a tip we will leave. They always appreciate the tip and will remember that if you ever are out with them again may go little farther let you fish little longer do a few things they don't have to or usually do.

Posted on: 5/25 15:35:22

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
We've always left a tip when we've done the charter thing at lake of the woods resorts or superior. I've never done a trip with a local guide or anything but I think it's halfways expected to leave a tip. On offshore trips I think you tip the deckhands because they're the hands-on folks cutting bait, taking fish off, rigging etc.

Posted on: 5/25 16:04:49

LSF Member
From Carver County
Guides: Tip according to effort.

Deckhands: By all means tip them. Again, according to effort. If there is more than one, tip each individually and privately.

Captains: Unless they are really "hands on", you already paid for the trip. Call it good.

Posted on: 5/25 17:33:10

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page