Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Guide question
LSF Member
When fishing with a guide is it acceptable to GPS track and drop waypoints during you day on the water? Or is that considered a no no? For those of you that use guides or are a guide what are your opinions on this.

My thoughts are, I paid to learn techniques and locations on this specific lake I would like to be able to return to the locations where we caught fish.

Posted on: 6/3 9:26:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Guide question
LSF Member
From Hayward
Go for it, I've had so called Guides swing in on me and push buttons.

Posted on: 6/3 10:55:54

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Ask the guide.
Some are OK with it others are not.

Posted on: 6/3 12:37:39

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
As a guide I am against it. With that someone may get my spot but they still have to know how to fish it and when.

Posted on: 6/3 22:04:42
Catfish University

LSF Member
Or just man up and learn to catch fish on your own.Surely more rewarding than hiring a guide and then sneaking a gps along with to tag his spots.

Posted on: 6/3 23:20:00

LSF Member
Quote:

cateyepike wrote:
As a guide I am against it. With that someone may get my spot but they still have to know how to fish it and when.

The thing is I will have his spots AND know how to fish it. I would presume he wants me to catch fish so he is going to have me using the best technique at that spot at that time.

My point is I have paid you to show me these spots and techniques. If you don't want someone to know your spots don't be a guide and take my money.

If I am on a lake for the first time and only getting to be there for a few days I want to maximize my time on the water and have a head start on finding fish. I think that is the point of fishing with a guide.

With all that said...I'm marking spots. I just don't like to be dishonest and "HIDE" things. I also don't want to create this conflict and have a huge awkwardness. I am paying his full price and will more than likely give him a nice tip. I think it is my right but don't want to offend him either.

Posted on: 6/4 9:21:18

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
Quote:

lutzy wrote:
Quote:

cateyepike wrote:

The thing is I will have his spots AND know how to fish it. I would presume he wants me to catch fish so he is going to have me using the best technique at that spot at that time.

My point is I have paid you to show me these spots and techniques. If you don't want someone to know your spots don't be a guide and take my money.

If I am on a lake for the first time and only getting to be there for a few days I want to maximize my time on the water and have a head start on finding fish. I think that is the point of fishing with a guide.

With all that said...I'm marking spots. I just don't like to be dishonest and "HIDE" things. I also don't want to create this conflict and have a huge awkwardness. I am paying his full price and will more than likely give him a nice tip. I think it is my right but don't want to offend him either.

I knew I was stepping in it even responding to this topic. I assure you that nobody (at least in the catfish world) fishes quite like me. I am into very precise bait placement and not just anyone can figure that out with a simple anchor point. Now technology is moving so fast that one could figure it out in a hurry if they wished.

Now I will tell you that 9.8 out of 10 people who fish with me could care less about getting spots or learning a thing. Most don't ever ask a question or even care. All they care about is catching fish and having fun and that is fine. When asked I will tell people just about anything on how to catch fish but I still find it a bit slimy to save the spots.

Posted on: 6/4 18:51:15
Catfish University

LSF Member
From Dalzell, sc
Sneaking a gps? Maybe i have a heavy conscience, but i would never do that. I would definitely ask and have some mutual respect with the guide. Key word respect. I have booked guides twice and will say paying attention to how there fishing and where is more valuable to use than knowing exact spots. Pull up the dnr map and go to any lake knowing the pattern that produced fish. Completely disrespectful hiding gps, but hey some people can sleep at night no matter what.

Posted on: 6/4 19:17:32

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
My view is that if I am doing nothing I think is wrong, I should feel no need to hide it(or care what others think). If you feel like you should ask permission for a situation, then perhaps deep down you really are just asking for justification for an action you feel isn't exactly 'right'? If so, then maybe it isn't the kosher thing to do in the first place?

Just my $.02

Posted on: 6/4 19:58:55

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Easypeasy -

I did not make a question of right and wrong...... the OP did.

I just commented that if one questions right or wrong, then they may already have their own answer.

Posted on: 6/4 21:10:38

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page