Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Guide question
LSF Member
From Minnesota
Not sure what lake or species you are fishing with the guide but pay attention...glance at the electronics...and ask questions onthe how and why. Then just duplicate it. Do you really need the exact gps spots at that point anyway. When someone has shown me a spot on a lake I don't need the exact gps coordinate to go back and find the fish. If that person happens to come to that spot or general area I usually just move on to another. Fish dont really swim on track lines and live on gps coordinates.

Posted on: 6/4 22:07:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Here is the deal, I didn't want to start a "your a horrible person...no you are", thing.

I just wanted to see if "now a days" guides expect it with the proliferation of GPS and phones and all. I think it is absolute my right and what I paid for. I don't plan on cherry picking 1 or 2 spots for the entire time I am there. Nor do I plan on broadcasting the coordinates to everyone I know and may meet while there. I just what a couple places to start, and again what I paid for. I can then use that to study the map after the day and find other like structures. I just don't have a great memory to remember what the locations were like when I get back off the water.

I really don't want to or plan to be overly clandestine to hide the use of a GPS. Again, I just have a really bad memory to remember what some of the structures were like that we were on. I also don't want to be overly confrontational. I am way too polite for that. Too much Minnesotan in me for that I guess. I guess if I was from out east (I have spent a lot of time out there) I would just say, "Hay I paid you and blank you, I get to do this so I am using a GPS like it or not."

I was not asking the "right or wrong". I do believe it is what I paid for. The knowledge of a few places to start at for my time there. So I honestly do not believe I am doing anything wrong. I just do not want a confrontation. I just wanted to know what other opinions were. I now regret my decision to start this...SORRY.

I will say, at this point I now do not know what I will do. One thing I do know is I DON'T LIKE BEING LABELED A DISHONEST PERSON. I don't believe that by asking I already know it is wrong. I think that is painting an unfair picture of me. I just wanted to see if it is expected at this point for someone getting a guide at a remote, extremely unfamiliar location. Enough said.

Wish I would have just asked the guide and dealt with the confrontation.

Next time I will keep my questions to my self...SORRY EVERYONE!

Posted on: 6/4 22:20:40

LSF Member
From cannon falls
Poor guy just asked for some feedback no need to persecute him

Posted on: 6/5 1:13:36

LSF Member
1. this why I don't post much oh LSF (attacks)

2. find a different guide / Pro , and DON'T hire anyone who says you can't use a GPS (its your money)

Posted on: 6/5 8:26:59

LSF Member
I'd use it in a heart beat. If you are concerned about how he'll react, turn the GPS on and place it in your tackle box...nothing wrong with being non confrontational. As seen here, some guides may not like it, while I'm sure may are ok with it...heck-they are guiding and giving away their spots already (it would be awkward there after if he said something to you so I understand trying to "hide it") . And any good guide doesn't rely on a "spot" they rely on structure, fish behavior, amongst other things. If you have Navionics on your phone, that could also be a non confrontational way of marking spots...juts pretend you are texting someone.

Posted on: 6/5 8:38:29

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
I don't think it is a right or wrong question.
When booking the trip I'd ask the guide his policy, if he said no GPS and I wanted to mark waypoints I'd call guides until I found one that was OK with it.
Hiding a GPS in my tackle box or pretending to text someone on my phone would make me feel like 3rd grader copying off a smarter kids test.

Posted on: 6/5 17:03:32

LSF Member
From East Bethel
Interesting opinions. I work as a guide and I don't care if you bring a GPS. With all the latest technology it makes catching so much easier. I get paid to take people fishing and show them a great time. I do think it is rude to sit there and mark way points the whole time. You can fish the same spot the next day and the fish wont be there. Also, working as a guide for 20 + years, you learn not give up your sweet spots, but spots that can produce fish. Just because I enjoy teaching people structure and how and why to fish it doesn't mean that I am going to give away all my secrets. If I know your a local looking for good spots, I will adjust accordingly, if your from out of town wanting to catch fish......I might be a little less protective. It isn't hard to figure that out. Remember that the guides rely on this to give clients a great experience and earn a living. I would like to think that as sportsmen and women, we hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Posted on: 6/5 22:11:08

LSF Member
From Minnesota
My opinion only. These guides work hard to give you a enjoyable day on the water. If you want to GPS their hard work ask beforehand (when you are booking the trip) if he says no move along to the next guy.

I would guess you guys think you are getting the guides very best spots? You are getting spots that he thinks you can catch fish on. You aren't getting his best spots.

Posted on: 6/7 17:20:52

LSF Member
From Carver County
I see it like this...

The client has paid for a half day / full day on the water. I'll do my very best to make it the best fishing experience you've ever had. The client paid for it and it's my job. I have enough repeat clients to confirm this. I've given away extra time if fishing was slow and even refused payment if I felt I didn't uphold my end of the deal.

BUT...

All things considered, what you didn't pay for is riding electronic piggy back on 2+ decades of time on the water. I've shown you how and basically where. If you need exact coords... I'm good with that, but I'll be raising my price. Big time!

Sneaking in a GPS is, in my opinion, is bad form. If you're wondering about using a GPS with me... just ask. Personally, I wouldn't do it to any guide I hire and expect the same respect from my clients. That said, I don't allow any client GPS on my boat. They know this up front and I have yet to hear any complaints. My guess is that if a new prospect didn't like it, they went elsewhere. OK... Bye.

I'll step into my phone booth and put on my flame proof suit. Then I've got to prepare for a full weekend on the pond with my long time clients from Iowa. Gonna be a warm one I hear...

M-H out...

Posted on: 6/7 23:35:44

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page