Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Guide question
LSF Member
People do plenty of things that are right and others hold another opinion and have a problem with it and express their opinion.

Forget that noise.

So to make a question of right or wrong is absolute bs.

Like a guy posting a video of himself catching fish legally.

That's called the other side of the coin pal.

Posted on: 6/4 20:17:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Easypeasy -

I did not make a question of right and wrong...... the OP did.

I just commented that if one questions right or wrong, then they may already have their own answer.

Posted on: 6/4 21:10:38

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Not sure what lake or species you are fishing with the guide but pay attention...glance at the electronics...and ask questions onthe how and why. Then just duplicate it. Do you really need the exact gps spots at that point anyway. When someone has shown me a spot on a lake I don't need the exact gps coordinate to go back and find the fish. If that person happens to come to that spot or general area I usually just move on to another. Fish dont really swim on track lines and live on gps coordinates.

Posted on: 6/4 22:07:58

LSF Member
From Edin Prairie
Here is the deal, I didn't want to start a "your a horrible person...no you are", thing.

I just wanted to see if "now a days" guides expect it with the proliferation of GPS and phones and all. I think it is absolute my right and what I paid for. I don't plan on cherry picking 1 or 2 spots for the entire time I am there. Nor do I plan on broadcasting the coordinates to everyone I know and may meet while there. I just what a couple places to start, and again what I paid for. I can then use that to study the map after the day and find other like structures. I just don't have a great memory to remember what the locations were like when I get back off the water.

I really don't want to or plan to be overly clandestine to hide the use of a GPS. Again, I just have a really bad memory to remember what some of the structures were like that we were on. I also don't want to be overly confrontational. I am way too polite for that. Too much Minnesotan in me for that I guess. I guess if I was from out east (I have spent a lot of time out there) I would just say, "Hay I paid you and blank you, I get to do this so I am using a GPS like it or not."

I was not asking the "right or wrong". I do believe it is what I paid for. The knowledge of a few places to start at for my time there. So I honestly do not believe I am doing anything wrong. I just do not want a confrontation. I just wanted to know what other opinions were. I now regret my decision to start this...SORRY.

I will say, at this point I now do not know what I will do. One thing I do know is I DON'T LIKE BEING LABELED A DISHONEST PERSON. I don't believe that by asking I already know it is wrong. I think that is painting an unfair picture of me. I just wanted to see if it is expected at this point for someone getting a guide at a remote, extremely unfamiliar location. Enough said.

Wish I would have just asked the guide and dealt with the confrontation.

Next time I will keep my questions to my self...SORRY EVERYONE!

Posted on: 6/4 22:20:40

LSF Member
From cannon falls
Poor guy just asked for some feedback no need to persecute him

Posted on: 6/5 1:13:36

LSF Member
1. this why I don't post much oh LSF (attacks)

2. find a different guide / Pro , and DON'T hire anyone who says you can't use a GPS (its your money)

Posted on: 6/5 8:26:59

LSF Member
I'd use it in a heart beat. If you are concerned about how he'll react, turn the GPS on and place it in your tackle box...nothing wrong with being non confrontational. As seen here, some guides may not like it, while I'm sure may are ok with it...heck-they are guiding and giving away their spots already (it would be awkward there after if he said something to you so I understand trying to "hide it") . And any good guide doesn't rely on a "spot" they rely on structure, fish behavior, amongst other things. If you have Navionics on your phone, that could also be a non confrontational way of marking spots...juts pretend you are texting someone.

Posted on: 6/5 8:38:29

LSF Member
Well, for starters, I should of used the term bud. As 'pal' carries a more negative tone. Not my intention.

While honesty is the best policy, I agree, in many of things.

This particular case I treat it as like going to the movies and you bring in your wife's purse your own bottled water and/or snacks.

Also, when I purchase a guide, it's not for the experience but for information. Doesn't mean I'm gonna be camped out or shadowing the feller. As, yes, you want to be your own guide ultimately.

I live in a big city, deal with enough interaction of people and their opinions on a daily.

---If I read on one's website that location devices were prohibited upfront, I would most likely leave it in the glove box.----

(except on the gulf, I find the information of reefs, structure, etc very hard to come by and expensive through out the years from when it's my turn to retire and guide)

As to spots, while Im quite certain many/most/some/whatever are found by a guides due diligence and elbow grease, I'm also certain that some of those spots are from borrowed/taught or shared information as well.

Just the nature of the beast.

Posted on: 6/5 17:01:37

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
I don't think it is a right or wrong question.
When booking the trip I'd ask the guide his policy, if he said no GPS and I wanted to mark waypoints I'd call guides until I found one that was OK with it.
Hiding a GPS in my tackle box or pretending to text someone on my phone would make me feel like 3rd grader copying off a smarter kids test.

Posted on: 6/5 17:03:32

LSF Member
Also side note for the fellow heathens out there, I use an app for my family called Life360, it tracks where all my family is at all times(kids, shop-aholic wife).

It has a built in feature where it keeps a history of all travels with stops and separates each stop.

So if you carry a heavy heart, well(high pitched voice), it may be a compromise as it does not carry a topography map.

Posted on: 6/5 17:19:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page