Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

New 7" Sonar & GPS
LSF Member
Looking for a good option for my son that has a 7" screen with Sonar and GPS. Would be best if it came with a case to remove it from the boat. Also a unit that could be used as a flasher in the winter would be great but not a deal breaker. Any suggestions.

Posted on: 6/4 15:03:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New 7" Sonar & GPS
LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
Just purchased a Garmin striker SV with all the features you mentioned. Cheaper than lowrance or hummingbird. nice picture and options on it also, check them out.

Posted on: 6/4 15:52:10

LSF Member
Humminbird helix seven and buy the ice kit

Posted on: 6/4 16:31:56

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Right now you can get a Lowrance Hook7 with a mapping chip for $399.00 and there is also a $100 rebate until the end of June. Very hard to beat that price set up. IMHO

Posted on: 6/4 18:39:13

LSF Member
Who has the Hook 7 for $399?

How do the Helix 7 and Hook 7 compare? Is the Helix 7 a good ice fishing unit compared to a flasher like the Marcum LX5 or Humminbird Ice 45?

Posted on: 6/4 19:39:44

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Helix has a flasher option.

Posted on: 6/4 22:11:02

LSF Member
From North Central MN
L & M FLeet and Reeds has the Hook 7 for $399

Posted on: 6/5 7:01:50

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
The hook also has a flasher option. I just bought a lowrance hook 7 after extensively searching for the best unit. What did I find out? They're pretty much all the same. The only thing with the Garmins is you don't get a base map standard on the unit, it's just a GPS position screen with your boat on it. You get the map if you bump up to the echo map. Overall I bought the hook 7 (chirp down imaging gps yada yada) because LM fleet was getting rid of last years models on clearance for $329.99 and it also qualified for the $100 lowrance rebate. Between the helix and lowrance, the lowrance is more intuitive to change pages because it gives you a selector rather than running through all the pages to get to the one you want. It is less intuitive when it comes to customizing options on the pages, it took me a fair amount of manual reading in the boat on the water to figure out what I liked. But I like it, and the base map is fairly good, most of the major rec lakes around me like Pelican, DL, Melissa, Sallie etc have lake contours. Of course I can get a chip, just haven't got that far yet. The gist of the post is, go to the store and dink around with the displays. You'll figure out what you like.

Posted on: 6/5 8:51:34

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
i looked at the hook 7 with chip combo at L&M as well. the model number on the upc does not match the 100 dollar rebate model numbers on the lowrance website. they have the rebate forms sitting right by the fish finders. not sure if it's a typo or not. I think there will be a lot of pissed off people if they thought they were getting that unit for under 300 bucks and it turns out the unit doesn't qualify.

Posted on: 6/5 9:04:02

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
The map chip and cover combo doesn't qualify. The one I bought was last years model so I had to buy the cover separate and I still don't have a chip but it qualified for the rebate. Even at 399 full price for the combo it's a good deal for a 7" unit if you figure $120 for the cover and map chip alone.

Posted on: 6/5 14:35:18

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page