Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

I hit a dock now what?
LSF Member
Just wondering what is the correct way to deal with a bad cast to a dock. I don't hit them very often at all but seen someone else do it this weekend. Do you cut the line try to retrieve any thoughts. No I'm not asking for me we all have at some point hit a dock but I never have ran into loosing a lure.

Posted on: 6/5 21:04:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: I hit a dock now what?
LSF Member
From Southcentral, MN
I try & retrieve it. Couple reasons. One, I want my lure back. Two, I'd hate to have the dock owner, or their family member (like a kid) get a hook in their foot, hand, etc. Docks are fished all the time & it happens.

Posted on: 6/5 21:20:11

LSF Member
From mora mn
If it's gettable I go unsnag it.

Posted on: 6/5 21:21:21

LSF Member
From Chaska
Get the Lure!! They are very dangerous!!

Posted on: 6/5 21:24:54

Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.(unknown)

LSF Member
Get the lure I don't know any owners that would be mad for someone getting a lure off their dock.

Posted on: 6/5 23:34:35

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Quote:

zachd wrote:
Get the lure I don't know any owners that would be mad for someone getting a lure off their dock.

Even if they do get mad to bad! Their dock is in public water. IMHO

Posted on: 6/6 6:38:45

Anonymous
100% get your lure, even if the owner is watching. They will understand, (Redacted by HF for misinformation).

Posted on: 6/6 8:06:30

LSF Member
Wow very interesting. I thought hitting a dock can cause them to go after you legally. Thanks I will remember if I ever lose one on a dock.
All good points here fellas.

Posted on: 6/6 9:10:21

LSF Member
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
100% get your lure, even if the owner is watching. They will understand, otherwise there have been threads that resulted in the takeaway that docks are on public property can -technically- can be used by the public.

Not sure who is telling who that someone's dock is public property but it is in NO WAY public property...I'd do more reading up on that if I were you.

As for hitting a dock, yes, absolutely go get your lure.

Posted on: 6/6 9:18:56

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
Some of the misinformation in this post needs to be corrected or you could put a fellow LSFer in a very controversial/potentially dangerous situation.

All docks are NOT public property. Lakeshore property owners have riparian rights to the water and, in most circumstances, own the lakeshore down to the low water level mark. As part of their riparian rights, property owners are allowed to install private docks from their property into the lake. This dock remains their property as part of their rights of owning lakeshore. Property owners cannot exclude people from fishing navigable water around their dock but they can certainly stop people from using or anchoring on their dock.

In regards to the original post, I would retrieve the lure from a public safety perspective. While the dock remains private property, there are exigent circumstances to enter into private property to retrieve a potentially dangerous piece of property. It's the same rule for trespassing. As a dock owner, I would be very appreciative of your efforts to retrieve a lure before my daughter ran out there and then I have to deal with a treble hook in the foot.

To simplify, a dock in a public lake is like a car in a public parking lot. Other individuals can walk around it or park next to it but simply by being in the public space, you don't lose ownership or the ability to stop people from using your car/dock.

I hope this clarifies the issue since walking onto someone's dock and fishing is a one-way ticket to being verbally assaulted, arrested, or, with some of the nut jobs out there, possibly shot.

Posted on: 6/6 11:49:07

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page