Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: I hit a dock now what?
LSF Member
I will add to TightLines very good explanation.

The dock is private, and to use that dock is considered trespassing, with the exception of, if you are walking in the water along the shoreline, and in basic terms, if your feet are in water, you are within your rights of being in public water, but if you encounter a dock, because it blocks your path to continue in public water, you are allowed to step on and cross the dock to proceed to public water, that is not trespassing.

On the stuck lure, I agree that the fisherman has the right to retrieve their lure, but if the the lure caused any damage to the private property, the fisherman is liable for repairs. Example, if the lure got caught in upholstery of boat/pontoon, or canopy top, and in the process of removing it tore or ripped the material, the fisherman is liable to repair the damage.

As far as fishing around the dock or boat lift, all water is public property and can be fished at will and if the property owner is excessive or violent, they are subject to a felony charge.

This is all based on MN laws and regulations, but from what I can find on WI, it is basically the same just harder to find definition.

Posted on: 6/6 13:44:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
I always recommend burning the dock down. that way you can just reel in the affected plank when it all falls in, and it creates bonus structure for fish!

Posted on: 6/6 15:59:52

LSF Member
From Fargo
LOL

Posted on: 6/6 16:23:41

Anonymous
Quote:

pulleye16 wrote:
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
100% get your lure, even if the owner is watching. They will understand, otherwise there have been threads that resulted in the takeaway that docks are on public property can -technically- can be used by the public.

Not sure who is telling who that someone's dock is public property but it is in NO WAY public property...I'd do more reading up on that if I were you.

As for hitting a dock, yes, absolutely go get your lure.

Who crapped on YOUR dock?

Point taken- but would appreciate a kinder tone. No harm was intended. Post edited.

Posted on: 6/6 18:39:12

LSF Member
I would always attempt to retrieve my lure, even to the point of disembarking my boat onto the dock if that's what it takes. The one time I snagged a dock when the property owner was present, I apologized and asked permission to retrieve the lure, and it was given - with a little attitude to boot.

Just a tangent here, but I try to respect lakeshore property owners with a little discernment. If they are on the dock or enjoying the shore, I will either go around them and avoid casting, or I will grab a rod rigged with a lure that I can just drag past their property. However, if they are just in the yard, I will fish. I just want to avoid a situation where I snag a property owner's dock while they are right in my face.

Finally, there is one thing we can ALL do to even further minimize these situations: practice accuracy in casting. If you can't lay a lure down right next to a dock in 10 MPH wind from 15 yards 9 times out of 10 - with your misses controlled to avoid contact - you maybe shouldn't cast at docks.

Posted on: 6/6 21:42:46

LSF Member
From SE Metro
I agree with the above poster. Very rarely do I sang a dock/boat/canopy but occasionally ricochet off of them. Control is key. If I do catch the dock, I ask the owner or go to the dock if they are not there and retrieve it (from my boat) and move on. And as said above, I'm not gonna bombard a dock if a person(s) are out there enjoying themselves. As far as lure retrieval goes, if I can get to it I'm going to attempt to retrieve it. And if you wreck property that is not yours, you pay for it.

Posted on: 6/6 22:39:59

LSF Member
From central mn
Never had an issue hitting/snagging a dock and retrieveing on any lake except minnetonka,more than once while working shoreline docks one of us work get hung up, a few times the property owner was out,one yelled at us and cut the line,couple other times they would belller,hit my dock and I'll keep yur lure,other times we would get an earful of fishing elsewhere or why do you have to fish my dock or hit my boat whlie casting,I get that as some of our rigs are on the heavy side with lead and could chip the gel coat on a glass boat.

The whoa's of bass fishing....

Posted on: 6/7 9:50:15

LSF Member
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
Quote:

pulleye16 wrote:
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
100% get your lure, even if the owner is watching. They will understand, otherwise there have been threads that resulted in the takeaway that docks are on public property can -technically- can be used by the public.

Not sure who is telling who that someone's dock is public property but it is in NO WAY public property...I'd do more reading up on that if I were you.

As for hitting a dock, yes, absolutely go get your lure.

Who crapped on YOUR dock?

Point taken- but would appreciate a kinder tone. No harm was intended. Post edited.

There was no tone other than the info you posted was wrong and I was informing the thread about it. Sheeeesh, put on your big girl panties. Sensitive much? How do you get tone from words on a screen?

Posted on: 6/7 10:42:48

LSF Member
Tie a 1/4oz or 3/8 oz weight on your line, set a hula-hoop in your grass, and practice hitting it from different distances. If you need to be up a little to match the angle of your boat to the water, stand on the front step. Once you can hit it almost every time, practice with a Frizbee instead of a hula hoop. Like anything in life, repetition is the mother of skill. Might as well become proficient at the thing you love, and avoid future dock-snagging situations a higher percentage of the time.

Posted on: 6/7 13:31:45

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
I for one would appreciate it if you would retrieve your lure if you get hung up on my dock or lift. Wound up getting stuck by a wacky rigged worm setup taking my lift out last fall.

Posted on: 6/10 19:23:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page