From Secret X
^^^^^ nice rebuttal autumn

Posted on: 6/12 17:59:18

Re: Outside panel to review Mille Lacs & DNR policy
LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Quote:

snow wrote:
lindy and 2014 late ice out...yup two banner yoy back to back.

Suprised fishpole hasn't chimed in,wonder if he pulled the pin@ hunter's? been a hard few years trying to make a living around mille lacs.

Nope. I'm still driving my launch for Hunters, snow. Over 100 fish on Saturday. Only 2 over 28 with one 29 that was this lady's from Chicago that'd never fished before. Brought it up on one of my Snoopy rods. The job does have it's good times. They've been pretty scarce with the regs and all.............

Posted on: 6/12 20:57:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

JJ wrote:
Quote:

Bandersnatch wrote:
Only as a reason for The Slot.

The Slots are what have hosed the lake.

^this

The protection of trophy class fish of multiple different species decimated the forage base.

No forage=poor year over year recruitment=eye fry and fingerlings becoming the primary forage base=collapse.

Plenty of forage, buddy. REALLY healthy fish. Slot's been the problem with the balance, though. If you're going to try and play God like the DNR and GLIFWC, though, you better have a better understanding of the lake than they have.

Posted on: 6/12 21:02:36

LSF Member
Quote:

otter wrote:
Quote:

JJ wrote:
Quote:

Bandersnatch wrote:
Only as a reason for The Slot.

The Slots are what have hosed the lake.

^this

The protection of trophy class fish of multiple different species decimated the forage base.

No forage=poor year over year recruitment=eye fry and fingerlings becoming the primary forage base=collapse.

If this is true then how do remote Canadian lakes keep going? Nobody is taking larger fish yet they still produce year classes. They are essentially catch and release.

Here's an idea go into the Aitkin office and go through their area lake files. See how many lake are at or near an all time low for yellow perch. It's likely near 75% of the lakes are that way. 75% of the lakes don't have slots so it's gonna be something else. Perch are the problem, and it's not just in Mille Lacs. They have crashed in hundreds of lakes, and nobody knows why.

Of course it's easier to blame the bands or DNR when you don't understand something.

I'm going to partially agree with you on this one, otter. With a lack of understanding and the knowledge that only time on the lake can give you, it's easy to play the blame game. But in truth, there are multiple reasons we can't take any fish again this year.
Not JUST netting or not JUST the angler take. It's a LOT of reasons combined to make this Perfect Storm.....

https://www.facebook.com/Banthegillnetcom-452384091454593/

Posted on: 6/12 21:10:47

LSF Member

Posted on: 6/12 23:35:26

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Quote:

AutumnFever wrote:

Simple. They are not netting the remote ones and destroying year classes of fish. A unbalanced lake of if only a couple year classes will destroy a lake. Similar to have a slot and eleminating on a certain year class

Hey, hey, hey, logic and reasoning will get you nowhere with a DNR sympathizer!

Just like with global warming/climate change or next it will be continental drift, all the models in the world are not going to tell you what is happening in the real world if your models are flawed due to human error or you are using flawed data.

Posted on: 6/13 6:19:16

LSF Member
I'm no expert on maintaining fisheries, but I do have a knack for logic. It seems to me that the problem with slots is that they protect fish of a certain size, and weed out fish of a certain size, and the end result is imbalance in the ecosystem.

Why not impose a "slot" limit that randomizes the harvest? Instead of saying, only fish between X" and Y" may be harvested, why not place a hard limit on the number of inches worth of fish can be harvested? Let's say 36" total inches of walleye, just to pick a number...

That can be two 18" fish. It can be one 22" fish and one 14" fish. Or, if a guy decides he's gonna take a 28" fish home, that'll be it for him. If he takes a 25", he'll have to decide if keeping that 11"er is really the kind of fisherman he wants to be.

This would have the net effect of randomizing the harvest, encouraging the taking of fish in the classes that are currently allowed, while leaving decisions up to fishermen, and in the end, perhaps it would solve some of the imbalance that seems to result from slot limits.

Posted on: 6/13 9:11:21

LSF Member
From Chaska, via New Ulm
I haven't chimed in on this debate for awhile now, but I think IronD has a good point about the slots and how they should be varied. Case and point: Winnie the last two years has been awful. They've had a slot now for about nine years and its now only big fish being caught and it is very hard to find any fish under 18 in. with any consistency. The problem doesn't seem to be the perch pop. as they are in there in great numbers.

Questions
1) Are the smaller fish only feeding on the perch and not the big ones? (This doesn't seem likely)
2) Or are there a vast majority of big fish in the system now?

I don't know what the answers are but it seems slots are a big factor in these lakes.

P.S. don't get me wrong, netting during spawn isn't great either but there's something else going on here too.

Just my thoughts.

Posted on: 6/13 10:05:33

LSF Member
From Secret X
Quote:

IronDioPriest wrote:
I'm no expert on maintaining fisheries, but I do have a knack for logic. It seems to me that the problem with slots is that they protect fish of a certain size, and weed out fish of a certain size, and the end result is imbalance in the ecosystem.

Why not impose a "slot" limit that randomizes the harvest? Instead of saying, only fish between X" and Y" may be harvested, why not place a hard limit on the number of inches worth of fish can be harvested? Let's say 36" total inches of walleye, just to pick a number...

That can be two 18" fish. It can be one 22" fish and one 14" fish. Or, if a guy decides he's gonna take a 28" fish home, that'll be it for him. If he takes a 25", he'll have to decide if keeping that 11"er is really the kind of fisherman he wants to be.

This would have the net effect of randomizing the harvest, encouraging the taking of fish in the classes that are currently allowed, while leaving decisions up to fishermen, and in the end, perhaps it would solve some of the imbalance that seems to result from slot limits.

Sounds good only that means we hit our small poundage quota by June 1st and season closes till December

Posted on: 6/13 10:06:31

LSF Member
From central mn
Good to here from you fishpole,still kickin...Is hunter's sending folks home with walleye,herd thats catching on @ some places,good concept to get folks to come up and fish on your launch and take a few canadian walleye fillets home.

Posted on: 6/13 11:03:18

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page