Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Use livewell as storage drain plug question
LSF Member
AS we all know you have to have your livewell plug out. I use my livewell for storage. I don't get a lot of water in it just a little I put clear tackle trays in it. So if I took the drain tube that goes out through the transom and plugged that hole the drain hose would be loose in the boat meaning with the boat plug out every thing will drain out would this work? I think with some plumbing fittings I can get the drain tube hole plugged up. Thanks for any Ideas. I did talk to a CO he said the plug has to be out of the live well even if used for storage. water could get trapped in there was the response. I asked if I could use the pipe that goes in there water would not come in but I still would have to remove it. I really want the storage and could care less about the live well.

Posted on: 6/7 19:06:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Use livewell as storage drain plug question
LSF Member
From Carver County
I use the front livewell in my Pro-V as either storage or a cooler. When in storage mode, both the drain and overflow are blocked with plugs similar to the plug in the transom but have the "quick release" or thumbscrews removed and replace with hex head bolts.

I had this set up checked by my local CO and a few lake inspectors and was told I "should" remove the plugs before travel. I never have (in this config) and have yet to receive any citations. Since they can see my "storage" compartment is dry as a bone, and the plugs require tools to remove/install. I just make absolutely sure there is NO moisture what so ever in there and a it has the nice scent of 409.

In cooler mode, both plugs are changed out to to normal plugs. The drain is obvious and the overflow plug is to eliminate "contamination" via lake water. I gladly pull them both and drain the melted ice at the landing and they stay out while in transit. No worries.

My read is that if you can keep your livewell dry as dust, any CO could see it's not a invasives hazard and may give you little lecture but grant you a pass. But then again... Get the wrong CO who's all gung-ho, you may end up with a ticket.

YMMV so do what's best for you and roll them dice.

Posted on: 6/7 22:33:18

LSF Member
Thanks for your take on this good points

Posted on: 6/7 23:34:05

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
I having been using my front well for storage, and will use it as a cooler. I'm trying to find a soft side cooler bag to fit in there for trips when ice availability is limited.

Posted on: 6/8 10:52:24

LSF Member
So Thankfully I'm married to a good woman. In her words why not just put another boat plug in the live well drain hole and then no tearing apart. Only takes 2 minutes tops and if I forget it no big deal.

Posted on: 6/8 18:03:33

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page