Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Re: New Petition to eliminate Treaty Management on Mille Lacs
LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
We just got PERM on board, too.

"New 'We the People' Petition Launched
Local advocate for Mille Lacs asks angling community to petition the White House to save the walleye

(PERM is sharing this because we support any effort to normalize usage of Mille Lacs and do away with "co-management.")

Call to Action
"Pursuant to an 1837 Treaty, several Chippewa Bands ceded land in present-day Minnesota and Wisconsin to the United States. The United States, in turn, guaranteed to the Indians certain hunting, fishing, and gathering rights on the ceded land "during the pleasure of the President of the United States." This new petition calls for the elimination of bilateral management of the lake's resources.

We need the support of the angling community.

Please click 'We the People' link below, then sign when prompted by the White House website. There will be an e-mail sent and you will have to click on their confirmation link to be counted."

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/remedy-eliminate-bilateral-control-mille-lacs-lake-mn-save-walleye-population-lake

http://perm.org/

Posted on: 6/16 12:38:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

fishnpole wrote:
Once again, let me explain that no fishing rights will be taken away.
The bands will STILL be able to fish. They just will have the same rights as everyone else.
We've tried mediation, but this administrative remedy has been exhausted because the Bands refuse to negotiate with the State until the reservation boundary dispute is settled.
Exhausting administrative remedies is crucial to our petition, because if there was another way, we could avoid further action. Either from the courts or executive order.
As what happened with the President's travel ban, the Bands could file a lawsuit and seek an injunction. Which is probably what they will do.
Either way, this is not over, even if we CAN get 100,000 signatures in the next 27 days.
The biggest benefit to GETTING the needed signatures is motivating changes in the status quo of how the lake is being handled by Treaty Management once it gets on Trump's radar.

Yes, band members would still be able to fish. But they would not have their harvest treaty rights. That would be a huge loss of rights for the Bands.

No need for the bands to get an injunction until the president would actually try to take away the treaty rights. Do you think he would sign an order without Congressional authorization when he has been told by the Supreme Court that such an order would not have any effect? I doubt it, but you can certainly ask. And what are you going to do if/when the DNR refuses to honor such an ineffective order? That's why you should start with Congress, but it's your show.

And do you think one reason you are having trouble getting 100,000 signatures is because most people want to honor the treaty?

Posted on: 6/16 13:21:30

LSF Member
From central mn

Posted on: 6/16 13:59:00

LSF Member
Quote:

LOW1 wrote:
Quote:

fishnpole wrote:
Once again, let me explain that no fishing rights will be taken away.
The bands will STILL be able to fish. They just will have the same rights as everyone else.
We've tried mediation, but this administrative remedy has been exhausted because the Bands refuse to negotiate with the State until the reservation boundary dispute is settled.
Exhausting administrative remedies is crucial to our petition, because if there was another way, we could avoid further action. Either from the courts or executive order.
As what happened with the President's travel ban, the Bands could file a lawsuit and seek an injunction. Which is probably what they will do.
Either way, this is not over, even if we CAN get 100,000 signatures in the next 27 days.
The biggest benefit to GETTING the needed signatures is motivating changes in the status quo of how the lake is being handled by Treaty Management once it gets on Trump's radar.

Yes, band members would still be able to fish. But they would not have their harvest treaty rights. That would be a huge loss of rights for the Bands.

No need for the bands to get an injunction until the president would actually try to take away the treaty rights. Do you think he would sign an order without Congressional authorization when he has been told by the Supreme Court that such an order would not have any effect? I doubt it, but you can certainly ask. And what are you going to do if/when the DNR refuses to honor such an ineffective order? That's why you should start with Congress, but it's your show.

And do you think one reason you are having trouble getting 100,000 signatures is because most people want to honor the treaty?

Once again, LOW, the petition does NOT say the Bands can't hunt and fish like everyone ELSE.
The Court’s holding that a Treaty reserving to a Tribe “ ‘the right to hunt on the unoccupied lands of the United States, so long as game may be found thereon, and so long as peace subsists among the whites and Indians on the borders of the hunting districts.'" is as broad as the treaty gets.
It does NOT say that Indians can net fish or that it CAN'T.

It says FISHING.

So the Bands can still fish.

They just won't be able to go against the laws and fishing regulations of the State of Minnesota.

Jurisdiction and management of the lake would return to the MN DNR. The Bands and GLIFWC would then be able to provide input the same way us Mille Lacs inhabitants and business owners do with the "Advisory Committee".

Posted on: 6/16 16:19:09

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Regardless of petty squabbles or verbiage that I may or may not agree with,..... I agree with the premise, so,

I signed it.

Posted on: 6/16 19:38:31

LSF Member
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
Regardless of petty squabbles or verbiage that I may or may not agree with,..... I agree with the premise, so,

I signed it.

Thanks, Shortline. verbiage is not the best, admittedly, but we DO need to get this message to President Trump and his staff.
Unfortunately, 99 signatures out of 100,000 isn't going to get much attention.
I've gotta say, folks, I'm just a little disappointed in the landowners and business owners here on Mille Lacs, much less the anglers that fish the lake. Everybody I KNOW keeps talking about how screwed up the lake is, that you can't keep any fish and we get 99 signatures to change it? Is there only 99 people that want to see the treaty management farce go away?
We've got more than 100 GUIDES on the lake. What about you guys?

Or is it a problem with the e-mail confirmation link?

Maybe you're just right, LOW and everybody is afraid to disturb the treaty right of the bands that want to take over here on Mille Lacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PsJZ-Af1ughttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsbj2UIgmZw&t=6s

Posted on: 6/17 0:30:58

LSF Member
Quote:

fishnpole wrote:
Quote:

Shortline wrote:

I signed it.

Thanks, Shortline. verbiage is not the best, admittedly, but we DO need to get this message to President Trump and his staff.
Unfortunately, 99 signatures out of 100,000 isn't going to get much attention.
I've gotta say, folks, I'm just a little disappointed in the landowners and business owners here on Mille Lacs, much less the anglers that fish the lake. Everybody I KNOW keeps talking about how screwed up the lake is, that you can't keep any fish and we get 99 signatures to change it? Is there only 99 people that want to see the treaty management farce go away?
We've got more than 100 GUIDES on the lake. What about you guys?

Or is it a problem with the e-mail confirmation link?

Maybe you're just right, LOW and everybody is afraid to disturb the treaty right of the bands that want to take over here on Mille Lacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PsJZ-Af1ughttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsbj2UIgmZw&t=6s

I think there are many reasons to not sign the petition, including:

- Harvest rights by the Bands, according to the scientists, are not the cause of ML's problems

- Not wanting to waste time/energy/money in pursuing yet another route which almost certainly would fail in the courts

- Recognizing that the era of virtually unlimited walleye harvests on ML may be permanently over and wanting to promote and develop the other attractions of the area

-Not wanting to be a part of our country's unfortunate history of denying Native Americans their treaty rights.

-Recognizing that what the area needs is civility and compromise rather than continued controversy

-Recognizing that under treaty management the situation is getting better

I am sure there are more. I am also sure that some people consider the above thoughts to be wrong, "snowflakey," or otherwise inappropriate. But I also think that they are, at least to many, real and need to be recognized.

Posted on: 6/17 8:27:31

LSF Member
From GODS country
I signed it.
Most people are all blow and no go.
Just complainers but when it means stepping up to the plate, they clam up.

Posted on: 6/17 8:28:43

LSF Member
From Manitowoc county
Signed, wife signed and shared with friends and Facebook. This maybe not the answer, but we cant just let the dnr slide by

Posted on: 6/17 9:14:29

LSF Member
From Chaska
I'm in. 110 signatures. WTH!!!!

Posted on: 6/17 16:20:43

Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.(unknown)

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 11 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page