Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Protecting new trees
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Well my father and I bought and planted some pear and oak trees in an effort to improve our new hunting land for the future.

For the guys who have planted trees in high deer population areas how have you protected them. After just a couple days the deer and checked out each tree and eaten the lower leaves of their choosing. I don't think it will affect the pear trees much as they are pretty tall and they can only reach the lower couple branches but the oak trees are only about 5-7' tall. I got some deer repellent spray and sprayed them down so I'll how that goes. Is fencing the best bet? Has a certain repellent worked better for any of you?

The tree guy said we shouldn't have to worry about too much grazing until this fall... either he was wrong or he just wanted us to come back and buy more trees!

Posted on: 6/15 11:01:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Protecting new trees
LSF Member
From Osseo MN
Fencing around them will be the best. Look into mats or wraps for protection against rodents also. Check out some you tube videos on planting trees/apple trees for deer hunting. They explain well how to protect young trees.

Posted on: 6/15 16:18:29

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Get some Plant Skydd and spray them. Good for 6 months. Stuff smells like rotting flesh ( it's made with blood) but it works. Smell goes away within hours after it dries. About $65/gal but cheaper and less time consuming than building fence and or cages around your trees.

I have a dozen apple trees on our hunting land and they haven't touched them since I sprayed them.

Posted on: 6/16 13:08:35

LSF Member
can make a fence with 30lb monofilament fishing line they bump into it but wont break through or jump it because they don't know how high to jump.
It really works look it up
its a good way to keep them out of early season food plots too

Posted on: 6/17 6:02:22

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Quote:

zachd wrote:
can make a fence with 30lb monofilament fishing line they bump into it but wont break through or jump it because they don't know how high to jump.
It really works look it up
its a good way to keep them out of early season food plots too

The pictures I saw of this had 3 or 4 rows of mono on 6 - 8' tall posts. I can see how this might work if the deer are just walking up to the fence but if they are on the run, they will bust right through just like they do on wire fence. Mono will also degrade in sunlight so there's going to be more maintenance to this type of fence VS a wire fence.

All depends on how much time and money you want to spend protecting your trees. All I know is I have better things to do than put up fence.

Posted on: 6/17 7:23:17

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
When I first read the fishing line fence idea it sounded great by once I started thinking about it I have the same thoughts dober has.

Zach, how long does the fence last for you before you need to start replacing it?

I'm not worried about the deer breaking through when I just have it set up around trees. I can make a triangle or square fence around each tree pretty quick I would think.

Posted on: 6/17 8:32:32

LSF Member
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
When I first read the fishing line fence idea it sounded great by once I started thinking about it I have the same thoughts dober has.

Zach, how long does the fence last for you before you need to start replacing it?

I'm not worried about the deer breaking through when I just have it set up around trees. I can make a triangle or square fence around each tree pretty quick I would think.

I suppose I didn't think that this is more of a long term deal.
I don't know how long it would last I guess always used it to section off parts of food plots and took it down a little before opener.

Posted on: 6/17 20:33:21

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

zachd wrote:

I suppose I didn't think that this is more of a long term deal.
I don't know how long it would last I guess always used it to section off parts of food plots and took it down a little before opener.

Yeah, not super long term. The pear trees Probably only need to be protected until the end of next year. The oak trees were smaller and I would like to protect them for a few years if I can, they are all 5-7' tall right now so easily browsed. The fishing line fence may still save time vs having to spray the trees continually if the fishing line lasts a full year or longer. How far back from the tree do you think the fence would need to be?

A 2nd thought I just had is the fishing line won't protect against rabbits really..

Posted on: 6/18 7:03:26

LSF Member
From MN
Tree tubes would be your best bet to protect from most all creatures and deer rubs. We live a high deer density area and apply tree tubes to all our oaks, chestnut, apple, plum, ect. Not sure who your tree guy is but deer will eat oak leaves/branches all year round. We just had a huge oak fall a few weeks ago in a storm, the deer absolutely hammered it.

Check these guys out. These are clear, vented tree tubes to allow sunlight and air flow which appear to work much better than our old tubes. We've purchased close to 100 from these guys in the last couple years. We've mostly ordered the 5 and 6th variety depending on the type of tree.

http://www.treepro.com/

We leave the tubes on for years to protect from browsing and rubs. You must make sure that main beam is high enough the deer cant stand on their hind legs to reach it. We've had deer ruin oaks that have sprouted out of the top of 5ft tree tubes because they were able to grab the main beam. We've switched to 6th tubes for our oaks, stay'd with 5ft for apples and such.

Most knowledgeable tree guys will stress the importance of tree tubes for protection and faster growth.

Best of luck. Planting trees and shrubs for deer/wildlife may become addicting. Buyer beware

Posted on: 6/20 10:08:10

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Eyehunter we thought about getting tree tubes but the trees we bought are 5-7' tall and have branches growing out on them already. Weren't sure how we could wrap the tree tubes around those branches? Do you use them just on seedlings or have you used them on 5' trees too?

Posted on: 6/20 10:22:42

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page