Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Philando Castile
LSF Member
From andover
If a police officer get's consent to search the trunk then there is nothing wrong with that. There are times a police officer will cuff someone for their own protection during the search of a vehicle. Does not make that police officer a bad cop. good luck.

Posted on: 6/20 17:22:58

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From minneapolis
i didnt mean stir the pot...i was just saying, some people have different experiences with police. yes, i gave him consent. yes, im ok. i just thought it was a little unnecessary.

the whole thing took about 20 minutes, with me sitting on the side of hwy 169 for about 15. when he was done, he literally uncuffed me, handed me my ticket and said get it fixed. and walked off.

im not saying good cop, bad cop. just a experience i had. sometimes i wonder what would have happened if i refused to let him search my car. my license, insurance, and carry permit were all valid.

on the other hand...most officers i encounter seem pretty cool

Posted on: 6/20 19:15:28

LSF Member
From andover
Just stating the facts. Not saying right or wrong. No need for putting race into the deal here Easy Peasy. I would not like to be cuffed as well for this situation. But I would do as icefisher83 did and follow the police officers orders. If I felt he did something wrong I would deal with that after it was over. good luck.

Posted on: 6/20 20:06:21

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From Manitowoc county

Posted on: 6/20 21:40:37

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Quote:

Reinhard wrote:
If a police officer get's consent to search the trunk then there is nothing wrong with that. There are times a police officer will cuff someone for their own protection during the search of a vehicle. Does not make that police officer a bad cop. good luck.

I agree with this comment. You can't file a police brutality report or lawsuit against the police officer/department if you're are dead.

In icefisher83 case though, why did the cop ask to search the vehicle when he was just pulled over for a broken taillight? As he said, his license, insurance, and permit were all valid. There was no reason what so ever for the cop to even ask to search the vehicle.

Posted on: 6/21 6:18:51

LSF Member
Quote:

EasyPeezy wrote:
Quote:

Reinhard wrote:

You mean if your of a poor or of color demographic?

Let me know how many E Class driving white folk are being cuffed on 50th in Edina for a tail light and legal carry vs someone 'not that demographic & geographic. Then you may have my attention.

Otherwise, I'll just respect your opinion and move on.

I'm not from Edina (far from it) but there is a very obvious crime rate difference between Edina and North Minneapolis. Those are facts.

I think it's easy to question the police officer sitting from your computer but put yourself in his shoes. If you were the officer are you more likely to cuff someone in an urban area or a suburban area, if you see what they see everyday?

Posted on: 6/21 10:23:09

LSF Member
That is the one thing most people do not consider, or have a full understanding of when it comes to being a police officer, and therefore they have no respect for their job. Every traffic stop, every interaction with any citizen, can result in them having a life threatening interaction. Therefore, they have to take extreme measures to ensure their own safety.

I have several buddies that are cops or highway patrolmen, have have been on the service for over 30 years. Some of them are involved with new patrolmen training. They are taught the if a perpetrator gets their hand on a firearm they have less than .5 seconds to make a decision on the intent and react. So now go back and watch the dash cam video for Castile and put yourself in Yanez's position. Its a taught reaction.

For the same reason most people do not want to be a cop, they should have respect for what a cop actually does, and has to deal with.

I had this conversation with my kids last night, showed them the video, talked through the court transcripts, and had a discussion. What pisses me off even more, is out education system, the teachers, telling my kids that this was a travesty of human rights and was the wrong decision. First of all, that discussion never belongs in school, second of all, don't ever teach my kids your opinions in school, teach them reading, writing, math, science and history.

Posted on: 6/21 10:55:04

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page