Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Slide in camper wiring question.
Staff Team
From Bloomington
I recently bought a Sun-Lite slide in camper.

As I am getting to know the ins and outs of the truck camper experience I have come across a 3 wire connector near the front drivers side of the camper. The previous owner said he never used it as he did not know what it was for. He had the camper 4 years.

I assume it is for the running lights for the camper. The wires are white, black and green. The interior lights all work off the 12 volt battery in the camper.

Or is it a connection to charge the 12 volt battery in the camper while driving?

It is a 1999 camper.

I know there are several folks here on LSF that have truck campers and I hope someone can confirm what this plug is for.

Posted on: 6/19 9:59:11

Re: Slide in camper wiring question.
LSF Member
Go to the fuse box and check all circuits(wires you described) with multimeter for continuity.Sounds like you may have a control circuit of some type with Three wires together like that.AC unit or heater add on??(Just a guess???)Good luck, have fun camping!!!!Sounds like fun!c63

Posted on: 6/19 10:56:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Eagan
sounds like a A/C power circuit. ...possibly for a generator supply.. ..TV outlet

Posted on: 6/19 15:37:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Here are pics of the plug and where it is on the camper.

Attach file:

jpg  plug.jpg (576.28 KB)
5905_59488c4e2c9a8.jpg 3024X4032 px

jpg  plug2.jpg (765.46 KB)
5905_59488c5fe0dc8.jpg 3024X4032 px

Posted on: 6/19 21:45:59

LSF Member
From Mn
On my sold Palomino cabover..I has a 5? 7 way plug in the same area.I wired it but only used a hot wire from the trucks battery only for 12V lights. That camper was equipped with turn signale/stop and running lights up top and on the turn signal/break lights same as a tow trailor.
You said you have a onboard battery for that in the camper.That plug you show seems like a boat trailor harness for lights missin the brown an yellow for signal lights.
Heres my guess>>Its for the top running lights the red an orange on the top sides of the camper.
3 wires white is hot/power supply,Black is (an look at a running light) white in an black out to next light,Green is common ground.
Check it out by wireing the white wire to a battery and use the Green as ground,just use aligater clips.My guess is you'll see the top running lights come on.I kinda remember you know some 12V wiring so it should be a simple test.

On my camper I took the battery that ran the 12V system and made a 2nd under hood of the truck tray and connected that battery to the main starting battery charge systen with a switch to charge the camper battery when camping for a few days.If the camper batt got low I'd start the truck engine switch to camper battery and give it a charge off the altenator. That made for some extra room for storage in the small 8ft camper.

Posted on: 6/20 12:06:41

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Dew2, that makes sense. There are running lights on the camper but no brake or turn signal.

I will have to dig into tracing wires more. I did replace all the 194 incandescent with LED bulbs to get more run time from the battery.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0358.JPG (831.58 KB)
5905_59496837bca06.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 6/20 13:20:58

LSF Member
From Mn
Looks like a nice cabover! are there 4 jack stands? can you put up a side view?We been thinkin of getting another for fishin the Mn river,Tent dont work well for two auldpharts an cookin over a fire especially coffee in the AM
I'm sure you know the AC wont work off DC power,Have you searched for a wiring diagram for that make an model??Did you get all the paper work with it when purchased? If so all should be in that pac.When we sold ours that was included it was tattered stained and in bad condition but went with the camper.

Posted on: 6/20 13:54:09

Staff Team
From Bloomington
It is a 1999. It came with 3 factory and one add on. the add on is different and needs a different driver and the foot doesn't come off.

I had one strip out on me. So I bought three new ones. Till they get here I use the three factory mount locations. It is not that bad. But I will go back to 4.

I have manuals but not detail on wiring to the truck. It says hook up the camper 12v connection to the truck. Don't use that connection while camping cause it can drain your truck battery in 2 hours.

I checked fuses and those are good. I also popped a light cover off but the base is riveted to the camper and the connections are hidden.

It also reads like it should be wired to charge the battery when driving the truck. So I would like to figure it out. I will have to see if my truck came with camper wire harness.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0423.JPG (348.14 KB)
5905_5949dca2129e9.jpg 977X1302 px

Posted on: 6/20 21:38:58

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Well as I was in the camper last night testing the water systems and such I found this on the inside of the power management door.

So I can just get the 7 pin rv cord and make my three connections and should be good to go.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0429.JPG (675.88 KB)
5905_594ac870f2ec1.jpg 2016X1512 px

Posted on: 6/21 14:25:51

LSF Member
From Mn
I got your plug backwards!! I saw the white enclosed black an green not enclosed as not shorting on the plug .OPPOSITE as what comes from a truck plug! MY MISTAKE!! you dont have rear stop/signal/running lights on the camper.SO a 3 wire plug should do the trick,just match the opposing plug to yours,Green power for running lights (head lights/parking lights) should light the clearance lights,Then Black is hot in for fridge Follow the diagram,White is ground.
I had 2 different cabovers the fridges were 2 way and 3 way Gas could make em freeze,120V could make em freeze however 12V only kept them cool while traveling so the danger of propane wasnt a problem.Once stopped it was reccommended to plug in 120V or propane.I dont see any battery charge anywhere,But the diagram is great.Probably made an printed for all styles of that brand camper with or without rear stop/running/singnal lights,and their top o the line camper with a built in charger.
I'd say put the 2nd battery from the camper(deep cycle) under the truck hood and wire it to the alternator with a cut off switch to charge when nessary. Sure beats carring a charger and generator

Posted on: 6/21 15:36:46

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page