Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Any Recent Reports?
LSF Member
Anyone have any recent reports from Leech Lake? How is the bite? Any bug hatches lately? Any panfish reports? Muskie? Pike?

Heading up later in the week for the annual big family get together, just wondering what we can expect based on recent reports.

We seem to go at the end of June every year, and it always seems to be a tough time, with the forage being so plentiful that time of year and the Walleye kind of in transition. But I keep hoping we have one of those special Leech Lake fishing trips one of these years.

No matter how it turns out, it will be better than sitting in the office working!!!!

Posted on: 6/20 15:26:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Any Recent Reports?
LSF Member
Also interested. Heading up a week from today, big family get together. Staying near Whipolt.

Haven't been to Leech for 20 years, looking forward to it!

Thanks!

Posted on: 6/20 18:28:39

Pro Staff
From walker
The walleye fishing has been pretty good most days. Over the weekend we saw limits with some slots mixed in. Iím liny rigging leeches in 8 out to 14ft. Not slamming them but its been consistent. There are hatches going on and lots of available forage but walleyes are biting a variety of presentations on various structure types. I would say if your struggling and donít have confidence in a spot crank baits should be working and there is a ton of water out there to cover.

Attach file:

jpg  June-10.jpg (237.88 KB)
2120_5949e4b863fbe.jpg 783X550 px

jpg  June-5.jpg (98.75 KB)
2120_5949e4db6b59d.jpg 589X542 px

jpg  June-8.jpg (74.07 KB)
2120_5949e51008aa8.jpg 468X882 px

Posted on: 6/20 22:17:00
www.walleyetrips.com
Fish house rental - www.leechlakeicefishing.com
218-368-6424

LSF Member
Thanks Yodie,

The report is much appreciated. I spent a couple hours going through the tackle box, then went to the Gander Mountain store closing sale to fill in the holes I found in my tackle, so I should be good for all kinds of techniques. I prefer lindy rigging, and I have about 50 different combinations tied up, but I am also set on jigging as well with every color and size of jig heads. I picked up a few Jigging Raps and I have a box full of other Rap's for trolling. The only thing I have not yet gotten into is lead core trolling, but I think I will be alright with what I have.

We stay at the Spirit of the North, Anderson's resort, so on the South side of the main lake. And I have heard that it is easier fishing up in the Sucker Bay down to Goose Island area, which is kind of a haul for my 16.5' boat, especially if it get windy at all. But I will try my best in the area, trying to find weed edges, on some of the rock reefs, and maybe up to Stoney Point.

If you happen to have any hints on panfish, please shoot me an PM, we have lots of little kids this year and panfish seem to keep there attention better. I have never had luck in Leech for panfish, but again, from where we are I think the best panfish spots are a long boat ride away.

I might have a mid-week lull, as a large group wants to go horseback riding, so I will keep your phone number handy and see if you have a day available mid-week next week. I know I tried to connect with you 2 years ago, but you were booked the whole week, so hopefully I can catch you this time around.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 6/21 7:14:21

LSF Member
I will be heading up in about 10 days and staying at Adventure North resort on Pine Point. I fished leech lake every year for 15 years! I haven't fished Leech since 2004 and am really excited about getting back! Thanks for the report!

Posted on: 6/21 11:56:24

LSF Member
Just got back from a week up on Leech out of Chippewa Lodge. Crappies and big gills where still shallow up in boy, best bet is to put the polarized glasses on and look for them. We got bunches of 8-9in gills and a bunch of 11-14in crappies just cruising the inside edge of the rice/bogs and spotting them. Depends on where you are staying I've had better luck most the time just loading boat up and jumping to some of the smaller lakes 5 minutes away that are loaded with bluegills and mostly nice ones in all the lakes around longville.

Walleye fishing isn't easy but if you grind on em you'll get your fish. Tough to go out for 2 hours and come back with a limit, we just reef/rock jumped one to another rigging leeches, spinners and jiggin raps, you'd pick 2 up here 2 up there and over course of a day you had a nice livewell, tough for the kids though as they get pretty bored. South end of the main lake I think is easier to fish once summer patterns kick in, pretty easy run through the big rocks on top of each of the reefs if you don't mark fish after a pass or two go around the bottom edge of the reef once if you still don't mark fish or get bites, move to the next reef.

I would think spinners would work, just plop em in the rod holders grab some beer and set the speed a 1-1.2 wait for the rod to bend.

Posted on: 6/21 15:58:26

LSF Member
Thanks rangerforme for the info.

Any of the area lakes you would recommend hitting up for panfish? We will have 2 boats, and mine is a smaller Alumacraft so we could lake jump pretty easily, but I don't know any of the area lakes at all. I suppose I could ask at Reeds if they would share any info on good area lakes for panfish. We typically spend about an hour in there anyways going over all the new gear, buying stuff we need and getting bait.

Posted on: 6/22 6:51:42

LSF Member
Thanks all for the info.

Anyone ever been to Northstar Sportsmens Club? Gonna try to get the family out for some clay busting while we are together.

Posted on: 6/22 14:48:31

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page