Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 »

Fresh Polish Sausage
LSF Member
From andover
A friend of mine wanted to have me make some sausage for the grill. He needed 50 links. Didn't want store bought stuff. He is going to have some other things also for his work party. Made 25 pounds of fresh brats. Seasonings I used are from Curley's Sausage Kitchen. I added some powdered milk, mustard seeds, and 6 cups of water. I have the step by step in my Homemade Sausage page on my site below. 50 links for him and the rest for me. I give away most of it anyway, shouldn't say the rest for me. Making Apple brats next. haven't made that kind yet. good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1839.jpg (81.87 KB)
11771_594d7adb5b8aa.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  IMG_1840.jpg (62.27 KB)
11771_594d7afb544ea.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 6/23 15:33:06

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fresh Polish Sausage
LSF Member
From Mn
RH I saw you said fresh sausage Great EH! BUT when homemade is used in the sentence.How is a package of store bought seasoning make it home made? Over on another site some brag of how good their sausage is,BUT its a store bought mix, all that is done is buy whole mussel grind and add a store bought seasoning mix??
So just what is considered Home made sausages??
You can buy fresh ground meat and add a store bought pac a seasoning, I dont believe thats home made? is this new day home made where you dont make a home made seasoning mix just buy it and own a grinder and get a feel good feeling with a stuffer someone bought.
Had me baffled for a while now.Me home made is all the process done at home including spices an herbs

Posted on: 6/23 16:42:56

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
You can buy individual seasonings at $5-$10 per jar and end up with $50-$100 worth or buy a pre mix with all of the same ingredients for 1/4 the cost or less. No brainer. You're still doing the actual grinding, stuffing and in some cases smoking process. Sounds homemade to me. Do you ever season your burgers or chops with Lawry's or another dry rub. 17 herbs and spices in that bottle of Lawry's. I guess your not a real cook unless you puchsse all of those separately and spend a small fortune. C'mon man.

Posted on: 6/23 17:23:00

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Dew, you sure can find fault in everything can't you!

Control of the meat that goes into a sausage is a major factor in homemade sausage. It is true that Reinhard is using some premixed spices in some of his stuff, but he always likes to doctor them up. Thanks for sharing Reinhard!

Posted on: 6/23 17:27:29

LSF Member
From Mn
Quote:

Ret-ro wrote:
Dew, you sure can find fault in everything can't you!

!
I most certainly can! Home made is home made! I grew up in redwing where my german uncle had his meat shop.Learned the meat chit since I was 10 I'm 66 now and do make my own,we also grow most all herbs am spices I tries a pac of store bought sage sausage 10 years back that was a mistake!
Like I say home mede is home made.I can go to a store buy ground meat in a mix I ask for,bring it home add a store bought mix,either leave it as bulk or stuff it.all i get is what the store bought pack is seasoned for
I was asking reinhard what todays kids consider home made,Thanks for your input EH!

Posted on: 6/23 17:41:30

LSF Member
Well Dew, to me anything made in your own home I would consider homemade. So what if a guy buys seasonings pre mixed. Its no different than going by a recipe except when going by a recipe you need to buy or gather all the different spices, many of which will go bad before before you get to use all of it. Lord knows how many dollars worth of spices I have wasted because they got old. With a mix you still control what else you may decide to put in a batch and what cuts of meat are used and how they are ground. I'm sure you could give 10 differnt guys a pack of seasonings and get 10 different results - and all of them will probably be better than anything you buy in a store.

Posted on: 6/23 17:55:39

LSF Member
From andover
Dew, I've been making sausage at HOME for over 40 years. If you actually look at my site I also have MY OWN RECIPE"S that I figured out all by my lonesome and actually share these. I control what meat goes in, how it's ground, how it's stuffed, how it's smoked, cooked, poached or baked. All different methods and not all sausage have the same process. It's important that people that want to get into sausage making know this and I like to help them out. ''

And guess what, they will know what to do and make it in their HOME. Some of the guy's that I know have their own recipe's and buy quality seasonings. Those bought seasonings are a base for me as I add other spices and ingredients to all my sausage. How you get the idea that because at times I use bought seasonings and make sausage at my HOME is not homemade is something 99% of sausage makers would not agree with.

Instead of ranting this nonsense why don't you take pictures and show us how it's done and share the recipe's with us like I and others do. This forum is not Silly Town here OK. I don't think I have ever seen a cooking post as nutty as yours. By the way it took me 2 years to get the Swedish sausage recipe made to the taste I remember when I worked in a meat shop many years ago. good luck.

Posted on: 6/23 18:08:39

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Dew - unless you are growing or making your own salt, pepper, and whatever seasonings you use, and raising your own hogs for casings, then your post is questionable(at best). I suppose you mined the ore to make your own smoker and raised the trees for smoking chips too......

I will back up Reinhard here, as he has helped me with many questions for my "homemade" sausage. Buying seasonings doesn't discredit the sausage make.

Posted on: 6/23 19:23:32

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
First he buys spices from the store and now his meat is poached! Get a rope.

Posted on: 6/23 19:54:25

LSF Member
I have been following Reinhard on this site and other forums. For someone to put him down is funny to me. This guy knows his stuff and I would be willing to bet he knows heaps more then most.

Anyway looks good man as always

To the order of the thin blue smoke

Posted on: 6/24 7:40:24

(1) 2 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page