Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Planning a Brisket
Staff Team
My plans as of right now is to do a Brisket for the 4th of July with some crab legs. I have a Traeger smoker and have all sorts of different pellets I can choose from. I have looked at many many recipes but trust our LSF members (cooks) more.

I would appreciate any and all recipes for the Brisket. As of right now, for my rub I will do equal parts salt, pepper and garlic salt. Rub the brisket with the rub and wrap it in plastic for 24 hours. I than plan to put it fat side up for four hours at smoke than flip it and than 225 until it reaches the right temp 190?

Am I guessing it should take 12 - 14 hours for a 10-12 pound Brisket. Again this is my first ever attempt at a brisket and want to do the best..............Kirk

Thanks in advance..........

Posted on: 6/26 15:28:36

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Planning a Brisket
LSF Member
Not nearly enough time. I have found out that 1 1/2 hours per pound is about average at 225 the entire time. It also needs time to rest. If it gets done sooner you can wrap it in foil then towels/blankets then put it in a cooler

Also you don't want the meat between 40-140 degrees for more then 4 hours.

Posted on: 6/26 18:54:20

LSF Member
I usually just use salt/pepper/onion/garlic for the rub

I will smoke at 220-225

(Sometimes I will spritz with beef broth every couple hours)

If you want it to cook a little faster pull at 160 and wrap in tin foil if I do this I usually put a little beef broth in the bottom of the foil.

I usually plan to try to get it done 3 hours prior to eating
pull at 190 IT
put in cooler with towels and let rest for at least 2 hours it usually raises the internal temp a little bit after putting in cooler.

This is just what works for me
My biggest take away though is plan to have it done before you want to eat.
Meat is funny and every cut is different when planning before your eat time that gives you some wiggle room incase you have a long temp stall.
Rather have the meat rest longer than not done for the meal.

Posted on: 6/26 23:46:20

LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
I would recommend smoking it the day before and serve it sliced out of a crock pot in the juices. I say that because it's your first time with a brisket. timing a big chunk of meat for dinner is tricky, they are all different because of fat content, wind, air temperature, rest time and other factors. PLUS it gives you more time to hang out with guests instead of them hovering over you with plates in hand asking "is it done yet" (trust me I have been there). But you do have a pellet smoker so a over night smoke would work too. I mean those things are pretty much set and forget, right? Either way brisket is a winner.

Posted on: 6/26 23:57:24

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
something I didn't see on here was trimming it. I trim mine so that the fat cap is only about 1/4" thick. if you do this, the fat will render down and soak into the meat. Also, are you doing a point, flat or full packer? when I do a full packer I separate the point and the flat, then cube the flat up for burnt ends once it's almost done. I prefer to separate them when it's raw, a lot easier than when it's piping hot. lots of videos on youtube.

Cook it Fat side up, don't flip it. I do mine on the pellet grill at 225. 1-1.5 hrs/lb. I leave a thermometer in it and just watch it. it does what it does. it will hit 160-165 and stall out. it's up to you at that point how fast you want it done. you could leave it at 165 for 4 hours if you want. it won't really climb until you wrap it. buy the good heavy duty tin foil and do at least a double wrap. I let mine hit 195-198, pull it and wrap in the towel and in a cooler. 1-4 hour rest depending on the size of the brisket.

Posted on: 6/27 9:13:18

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Don't you cube up the point for burnt ends?

Quote:

CaptainCoors wrote:
when I do a full packer I separate the point and the flat, then cube the flat up for burnt ends once it's almost done.

Posted on: 6/27 9:35:44

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Quote:

Ret-ro wrote:
Don't you cube up the point for burnt ends?

Quote:

CaptainCoors wrote:
when I do a full packer I separate the point and the flat, then cube the flat up for burnt ends once it's almost done.

ha, you are right. I was typing fast as I had to get back to work.

Posted on: 6/27 11:35:16

LSF Member
From andover
I agree with most of the guy's who have posted and I think theirs turned out well having seen what they do. Important points for me are:

Internal temp when ready to pull the brisket, for me it's 205.

Temperature in the smoker 225 to 250.

Most important----Wrap and let it rest for a couple of hours before slicing. That rest period allow's the juices to distribute throughout the whole brisket.

Plan ahead. Looks like you are doing a whole packer brisket. I also cut the point off the flat end. The point is thicker and needs more time normally. Makes great burnt ends as Captain Coors said. Have time set so you can go through the whole process including the rest period.

Season the brisket with spices you like. If you are making it the night before. After slicing, keep the meat moist with a au jus or some beef broth. Re-heat in a crock pot or aluminum pan covered.

I put the brisket in a aluminum pan with some drippings and beef broth about 180 internal and cover and put back in the smoker until it reaches 205. Then when done I bring the pans in the kitchen and put some towels over them and let them set for a couple of hours.

Have a great time with this. good luck.

Posted on: 6/27 16:06:04

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From maplehood
I'd recommend doing a wet mop as well, I apply it every 2 hours.
I just did a brisket, next time I am going to seperate the tip from the flat. fat side up! cook low and cook sow!

Posted on: 6/27 20:48:15

LSF Member
If you are smoking the crab legs I recommend cherry wood
That is what I found I like with crab/lobster

Posted on: 6/27 23:46:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page