Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

BWCA
LSF Member
I'm planning on making a bwca trip this summer. It would be me and my brothers first time and we are goin with a buddy that has been out a half dozen times or so.

Just wondering if anyone has some tips on where to go and what to use to catch some fish? We don't care if it's walleye, bass, or northern

Also what would be some good things to bring along to make the trip more enjoyable?

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks

Posted on: 2017/6/28 20:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: BWCA
LSF Member
My first suggestion would be to nail down your dates and then pick a location based on what permits are available. A lot of permits will be gone already so you'll have to take what's left.

If you want to enter on a Saturday you'll have even less to pick from. Entering midweek will increase your options.

Fishing tips will change depending on where you go and when. The east side can be a lot different than the west side so it makes a difference.

To make things more enjoyable get together before hand and figure out your packs. Eliminate redundancy and make sure there is nothing left loose to carry by hand. It all goes in a pack or tied to the canoe.

Also if you're going with 3 people figure out your canoe situation. Are you going with a 3 man or a double and a single? A 3 man has its challenges for fishing but its doable.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 1:10

LSF Member
We are going July 5-9, we found an entry point on Meeds lake, from there we are planning on heading to caribou lake to camp on. We heard some good things about that lake. Any other good lakes around there to make a day trip to catch some good fish?
Ok Thank you, i will keep all that in mind.
We are taking one canoe and a kayak

Posted on: 2017/6/29 6:09

LSF Member
You'll have a long first portage into Meeds but its not the worst portage around. Most people don't use this portage because the Lizz lake portages into caribou are much shorter and easier but those permits also get reserved quickly. Meeds itself is a good fishing lake, probably one of the best in that area but not the most exciting trip ever to make one portage and set up camp but if you do that there are a lot of day trip options. If you just want to basecamp and fish then snagging one of the 2 sites on Meeds isn't a terrible idea. It will probably be quieter than most of the other lakes in the area and you'll be on the better fishing lake for the evening bite.

Caribou is a decent fishing lake but expect it to be busy. Its a very easy lake to get to from both Meeds and Lizz entry so it collects a lot of people. If you can find a campsite on the lake leave any expectations of solitude behind.

From Caribou you can head south into Horseshoe. I haven't fished the lake but its well known to be a very moosey area so if you want to see moose this is probably the best spot in the BWCA. Paddle the shorelines very early in the morning and be very quiet.

You could go south as far as Gaskin. I haven't spent a ton of time on Gaskin but its supposed to be a decent fishing lake.

There are a lot of good options for loop trips starting at Meeds and exiting at Lizz. Depending on how much time you want to spend traveling you could do all sorts of things. Winchell and Omega are really nice lakes if you get that far south. Not much for fishing but they are really pretty. Winchells south shoreline is a lot of tall vertical cliffs. If you get a strong east or west wind you may want to stay off Winchell though, it gets the nickname of Wind-hell for a reason. I've done a few trips through there with a strong wind and vowed to never do it again.

As for fishing in that area there are going to be walleyes and smallies mainly. Small mouth aren't real hard to catch, rocky points or rocky shorelines will almost always hold some fish, just need to figure out the depth for that particular day.

Walleye will also be fairly walleye like. Mid lake structure is good but when in doubt troll the shorelines in the evening until you locate fish and then come back and set up with jigs or slip bobbers. Bring leeches if you can. A slip bobber from your campsite in the evening will almost always catch something.

Are you using Rockwood as an outfitter? They are good people there and they run a good business there. They are under new ownership starting last year but when I was up there last summer they seemed to be carrying on the tradition of great service set by the previous owners. I've been through there probably 5-6 times over the years. If you use them for any outfitting you can also park your car there for free which is really nice. They also have showers and a bunk house for before or after. They also sell leeches if you need them. Pro tip - buy leeches from one of the husbands that run the place, not the wives. The guys have always given a VERY generous amount, the women tend to count them fairly accurately. Or you can also stop at some place on the way up and buy leeches by the pound. That will be cheaper but its nice to spend the money at the local places along the Gunflint if you can. If you've got a few minutes stopping in at Ugly Baby Bait shop just east of Rockwood is worth it even if you don't buy anything. Its a tiny old school bait shop the owner runs over from his house when he gets a customer. He has good bait that he traps himself but its rather expensive. He's also got good info on the local lakes.

Have you guys got your portage method figured out for the kayak? they are nice to paddle but a pain the butt to portage so make sure you've got your system figured out. Theres a reason very few people use kayaks in the bwca. I assume the canoe will be carrying all the gear. You'll also want to pay attention to the different speeds of the 2 boats. Odds are that kayak will really have to work to slow down and stick with the canoe when traveling.

Last tip... Go to Trail Center for breakfast before you head into the BWCA. Its like 5 minutes from where you'll put in on poplar lake. They don't open until 8am so you'll get a little later start in the morning but its well worth it to start the trip on a full stomach. The biscuits and gravy are legit, bread pudding French toast is crazy good, biggest pancakes you'll ever see, and the fried grits are really good.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 9:06

LSF Member
Let me know if you want more info on Meeds or Caribou, I know I have some fishing notes somewhere that I might be able to dig up.

Posted on: 2017/6/29 10:09

LSF Member
Thank you for all the information, we will have to check all those places out.

I'm not sure if we are using the outfitter or not, I'm pretty sure we are just packing in all of our own stuff but are going to pick up some live bait when we get up there for sure. And for the kayak wise I think we are going to make a double portage and just have one guy front and back.

And if you are willing to give us more info on them lakes we would gladly take it, thanks again

Posted on: 2017/6/30 11:27

LSF Member
From central mn
We've done many trips with 3 guyz in a 19' gruman canoe,one#3 duluth pack and two smaller self packs with extra clothes/rain gear,one tent and a small cook pack that straps to duluth pack while portaging,three guyz paddling can move along well,rods strapped to the canoe while portaging,guyz walking carry the smaller tackle boxes,bring extra spools of line,casting line like trilene xl and a varety of jigs and plastics,alot of stained water up there so bright/glow jigs heads are a mainstay.Smaller cranks and raps will cover all fish species.

After the 1st day you'll figure things out and consolidate from there with your gear.I usually travel with a self inflating rollup bed roll.4' long and stows easily and use a stuff sack for the sleeping bag,takes up little room in the pack.

Wear in hiking boots,tie a pair of tennis shoes to your pack for around camp or whatever,nice to have a dry pair of backup foot wear when your feet get wet and most often your feet get wet daily.

And BUGS,be ready..black flies,deer flies that take meat when they bite by day,skeeters by night unless ya find a smaller island on the windward side to camp,why I've seen skeeters so big throughout the bwca they had ticks hanging on'em...

Posted on: 2017/6/30 13:33

LSF Member
I'll see if I can dig up the notes I've got. I believe I have them in an email somewhere otherwise they're squirrel away with my maps. If I find it I'll PM you.

Make sure to test out your kayak carrying method ahead of your trip to make sure its doable. Keep in mind that your first portage will be just shy of a mile long on a portage that is far from easy. They do also make portage yokes for kayaks you might be able to find one to borrow or rent, that will allow one guy to carry the kayak.

Snow had a good tip about tying all your rods into the canoe during travel and portaging. That keeps them safe and out of the way. I use Bungee Dealee Bobs (yes that's the official name) and attach tie them in under a seat and thwart. You really want to do everything you can to eliminate any loose items. The paddles are the only items that don't go in a pack except the life jackets which are worn the entire time. Live bait if you bring it would also be an exception.

Since its your first trip expect there to be some challenges. All the advice ahead of time only gets you so far. There are some things you just have to do for yourself and figure out the best system that works for you. Everyone has their style of BWCA travel and most think its the one right way to do it when in reality the right way is whatever works best for you. You'll refine some things on your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th trips, after that you're a seasoned vet.

Do you know where you are picking up your permit? If you're not picking it up at Rockwood I would have it switched to pick it up there. Outfitters have more flexible hours and have more tips and info for you than the rangers stations.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 9:01

LSF Member
PM sent

Posted on: 2017/7/3 9:10

LSF Member
How was your trip?

Posted on: 2017/7/24 10:04

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page