Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Rapala Jigging Raps - What Colors?
LSF Member
Look to try Rapala Jigging Raps for summer Walleyes for the first time. What colors and sizes work best?

Posted on: 6/29 12:25:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rapala Jigging Raps - What Colors?
LSF Member
Al Lindner has some good info on using the jigging rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Konx5uMzrtM

Posted on: 6/29 12:31:04

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Do your studies on whichever lake you are fishing and try to find the main forage. That will determine the color you'll go for. I like #7 and #9 personally. The #9 on steep breaks in the fall the week or so after turnover are fantastic. I personally tend to fish lakes with perch or tullibee as the main forage base so perch color patterns and purples are what I hold the most of. Snap jig them hard off the bottom and be ready to feel some weight each time you jig it. It's amazing how often they pin them to the floor and you don't feel the hit until you snap it. Lots of fun!

Posted on: 6/29 13:27:44

LSF Member
highbreeze, what kind of bottom are you fishing them in? I've used them a few times when I've marked fish, in what I had assumed where harder bottoms, but get annoyed with catching weeds and slime. I'm sure sand or rock is the best to avoid that, but is there a good way to avoid the weeds?

Posted on: 6/29 13:34:44

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
I like soft bottom, sand or gravel. Don't fish these in rocks as they will get snagged continuously and at $8 a pop, it can get expensive very quick. If you can hold the weed edge you'll do well, but again, the fish love the weeds so at times you have to commit to taking off some vegetation throughout the day. It's all reactionary to the fish. It looks like a small minnow laying low to avid being seen and when you snap it and make it dart off in different directions it just seems to tune up those fish. In the late fall I fish these after turnover out to 40+ FOW while it is heavily oxygenated and work it up closer to 30 - 25 FOW as time goes on. The big fish in the fall really love to chew on these baits. I was late to the party on fishing these but they are one of my favorite late season baits now and as others have proven they can be successful all open water season if you use them in the right situations. I have a friend of mine who's buddy fishes some bigger tournaments in the Midwest and he took second on an event on Winnie two years back casting and snapping these back on a sand flat in 8 FOW where the wind was blowing in. It can be quite versatile once you gain some confidence with them.

Posted on: 6/29 14:08:25

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page