Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Any Garmin Quickdraw Users?
LSF Member
From Ramsey
I just picked up a Garmin 93SV and I don't find much about the quickdraw feature yet on the site. Anyone else using this? Any tips and tricks?

I bought online from Reeds ( www.reedssports.com ) and I can't say enough about their pricing and service. I've made several other purchases from Reeds over the last five or so years and they're always at the best price anywhere. This one arrived at my door less than 36 hours after I made the purchase, but so did my other purchases so I was impressed but not surprised.

I also planning to use the unit in my truck on the chart setting during ice season.

A big part of why I went with Garmin over Lowrance and Humminbird is the mapping feature. The maps that I've used are very good, but there's so much more down there than what these show, especially in terms of cover. My plan is to fish my ice spots this summer and create my own more detailed maps and waypoints for use during both seasons. There's a lot to learn about how best to do this.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Posted on: 6/30 16:25:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Any Garmin Quickdraw Users?
LSF Member
From Saginaw, MN
Just started using it on my 73sv my last two trips and so far I like it. Learned a lot of info from youtube videos first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMsCZ8psAM
Still learning, but encouraged. Spent more time working the panoptix than quickdraw.

Posted on: 6/30 19:36:49

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

fishless wrote:
Just started using it on my 73sv my last two trips and so far I like it. Learned a lot of info from youtube videos first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMsCZ8psAM
Still learning, but encouraged. Spent more time working the panoptix than quickdraw.

You went with the Panoptix transducer! That's awesome!! I'm just working with the standard transducer - this is a huge step up from the old (and I mean old) Humminbird unit I'm used to. I've upgraded my ice flashers quite a lot over the last few years and this has shown me how important and valuable quality electronics are to the experience.

Thanks for the link - I've been all over youtube and I'll be getting on the water for the first time with the unit tomorrow afternoon.

Posted on: 6/30 22:22:41

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Used the quick draw only for about 5 minutes so far but plan to use it a lot. I picked up a 1042xsv on Fathers day weekend from Reeds. Reeds has always done very well for me.

I will post more once I have a chance to use it some more.

Posted on: 7/1 5:01:37

LSF Member
From Ramsey
OK - I've mapped a couple of lakes and WOW, the factory maps (which look just like those I've been using from Navionics on my cell phone) are W A Y off in many places. The detail provided by the quickdraw process is fantastic.

Now - how do I work with these charts on my PC? I've searched the Garmin forums and not a mention there, or anywhere else as far as Garmin sites are concerned. There's talk about Homeport and something else, which I gather were created for other Garmin device purposes.

Any ideas about if and how I can work with these charts on my PC? My hope is that I can do the same things that I can do on the device in the field - add waypoints, mark weedbeds and other features, etc.

Posted on: 7/4 19:40:11

LSF Member
From Burnsville
When I emailed Garmin last summer they did not support loading the quickdraw contour maps onto a PC, but a quick search makes it appear that they have changed. Doesn't seem like you can modify the maps, but you can at least upload and view other people's maps. Not sure I want my map "public" though, it's of a private lake and don't want to encourage people to trespass. Hopefully they have an option where you don't have to "share" it with anyone.

Garmin

Posted on: 7/7 10:06:14

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

deadeyearcher wrote:
When I emailed Garmin last summer they did not support loading the quickdraw contour maps onto a PC, but a quick search makes it appear that they have changed. Doesn't seem like you can modify the maps, but you can at least upload and view other people's maps. Not sure I want my map "public" though, it's of a private lake and don't want to encourage people to trespass. Hopefully they have an option where you don't have to "share" it with anyone.

Garmin

I see how it can be shared, but I find many reasons against and none for this being a good idea. I see a couple of Garmin programs for trip planning and the like (don't remember what each is called) and at least one of them has to do with lake maps.

The Garmin sites and programs remind me of Apple stuff - it's its own animal and you just have to learn it - there is no using it casually. The Garmin forum page is plagued by bugs and problems this week, reportedly from a recent update that they're still ironing out so I can't even get in there to ask the experts.

When I was researching I remember seeing a third-party program that allows for what i'm trying to do but I can't find it again.

Posted on: 7/7 15:52:00

LSF Member
From Ramsey
The SD card port broke, I couldn't get the online mapping interface to work, Garmin's user forum was down more than up, and their customer support was terrible. I returned it even though I had to pay shipping, their shipping back to Garmin, and a restocking fee. Yes, I wanted to do something else pretty badly...

Went with a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro and I like it much better.

Posted on: 9/24 15:55:36

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page