Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Re: Mandatory Boat-Wash/Inspection Station in Annandale?
LSF Member
They already have invasive species on these lakes they're discussing specifically. That's what leads me to wonder how much of this is concern over AIS, and how much of it is an effort by Lake Associations to reduce the presence of boaters on "their" lakes.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 15:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

Kato wrote:
A lot of "our" lake language.

Beware to all... if we dont get involved on a personal level this is going to happen all over our state.

That appears to be the goal. My cynical side wonders if this is an effort by lake property owners to make it difficult for boaters to bring boats to "their" lakes. Maybe they figure a percentage will not want to deal with the hassle, cost, and wait times, and just stay home.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 15:35

LSF Member
From Frazee
I think it sounds like a strategy to employ at a lake or group of lakes that are not surrounded by private property, Ie. State park or other type of place with the slightest chance of controlling who does what and when. What is to stop someone from charging a fee to access the lake from their lot? What about all the AIS pathways on those private lots, like docks or other equipment? A group attempted to get a grant and do this on a lake near DL and it did not get nearly this far. IMO if these county officials want to prevent AIS they ought not alienate the boaters, who comply with AIS policies in most cases.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 17:15

Staff Team
From Annandale
I'm struggling to grasp the benefit of having your boat verified and certified that it'd been inspected before being put in a lake with a list of invasives so long that it's only missing snakeheads, boas and iguanas. Perhaps it would be a bit more effective to enforce decontamination once one is leaving the lake? If the concern is that great put a wash station at all 4 lakes main access and be done with it. Seems like an awful lot of headaches just to enjoy some time on the water. As others have mentioned, perhaps that's the goal by the associations that are backing this.

Posted on: 2017/7/3 17:38

LSF Member
I fish Sylvia quit often I heard of this also. Bottom line if I have to wash each and every time I'm done going there. Yes it's just what they want. However at some point I think they "the small towns" will start to lose business. When your on Sylvia it's more a party lake in my opinion sad to see but pretty soon it will be state wide. I fish over 180 days in a summer. Constantly harassed by where I was where i'm going to and I drive about 30 miles every 2 weeks just to get my boat washed. I've all but quit all lakes that have Zebra mussels. As soon as you get to a lake oh you have to have it decontaminated before you go on this lake. I asked them do you see any sign? No, good I'm going short time later DNR shows up. They didn't find any either what a hassle. Venting a little here to but Golf is looking better all the time even though I never have. I believe the rich schmucks just want us off there lake. How soon does this go in effect?

Posted on: 2017/7/4 22:56

LSF Member
This is scary!

Humans are idiots.

I don't see anybody checking or ticketing the pelicans and cormorants that fly from lake to lake. The invasives are going to happen regardless of what man tries to do. Mother nature will do what she wants. We can't stop it!!!

We can all look over our boats, but mandatory washing is ridiculous.

Sounds like another issue to take up with our representatives.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 10:36

LSF Member
From Hastings/Remer, MN
thought i heard the DNR were pulling boats over on 35w of people heading north last week on friday too... truth?

Posted on: 2017/7/5 11:03
IBOT #286

If guns kill people, can I blame my pen for my mistakes?

LSF Member
From Burnsville
If they want to mandate inspection further than what the DNR has for lakes statewide, then they need to have it at the landing itself and fund it themselves. Having to drive an additional 26 minute round-trip for an "inspection" is a way for the lake associations to try and keep people off of the lake. Having the station in Annandale adds time for people who live south of the lake, forcing them to drive past just to drive back. Additionally, they want to force you to be inspected the day prior before launching earlier than 5am. What about those of us who have to drive from far away to get to the lake? How are they going to make it accessible for us when we want to fish before 5am? How is it legal to have a control gate preventing public use of a water access on a PUBLIC water access?

In my interpretation, the statute that they are trying to use to explain the "legality" of their proposed station proves just the opposite. See below.

(1) have adequate staffing to minimize delays to vehicles and their occupants;
(2) allow for reasonable travel times between public accesses and inspection stations if inspection is required before placing water-related equipment into a water body;
(3) are located so as not to create traffic delays or public safety issues;
(5) do not reduce the capacity or hours of operation of public water accesses.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 11:30

LSF Member
If you listen to the whole meeting these people have put a lot of work into this.When you pay lake taxes the folks expect a lot.The President of the Sylvia/Twin lake board stated "were running out of our time window".The Initiative Foundation is going to grant over 500k now.I would be careful what you vote in Wright county because we all know how these fees,fines,or taxes or whatever you want to call them explode in time.If the Lake associations,County,State(DNR)continue down these roads the boater population will dramatically decrease in Decades to come.At least on "their"lakes.Look at the "outsider"boater population on Christmas lake.If they have their way know one would boat on "Their"lake.(Maybe this could be a underlying thought in every ones mind.)Some AIS is a real concern.Not all the data is in yet.We should do something about these invaders.Not doing anything about these invaders may cost us all a lot more than money!!!!If there is a public ramp on a lake it is still open to the public.If a lake is infested......no boats in no boats out..simple.Has anyone ever seen a study about waterfowl spreading AIS?c63

Posted on: 2017/7/5 12:16

LSF Member
You won't stop it!!!

The only way is if a lake is a closed system with no water in or out.

If a creek flows from one lake to the next, it will spread.

I am not saying absolute free for all, but over regulation isn't going to stop it either.

Your going to turn these lakes into private lakes and that is not what MN is all about.

We all pay to much in property taxes \
These lakes are for the public to use, not just the land owners.
We are wasting millions of dollars on something that humans can't stop. I know that is hard to stomach, but mankind can't control everything in our environment.

The great lakes have had zebra mussels since the 80's. These are still great fisheries.

I think people need to learn to get over it and accept that you can't stop the spread.

Sure, we can maybe slow down milfoil and some other easily seen species, but the baby zebra mussels are hard to see and they will get missed.

Lake Associations can complain, but the DNR has the power and they are controlled by the MN public, in which we as citizens have the power to influence our local representatives. If you don't like what is being planned, call those local representatives and let them know that the majority are not in favor of these stricter guidelines.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 12:57

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page