Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

Re: Mandatory Boat-Wash/Inspection Station in Annandale?
LSF Member
Quote:

chris63 wrote:
If you listen to the whole meeting these people have put a lot of work into this.When you pay lake taxes the folks expect a lot.The President of the Sylvia/Twin lake board stated "were running out of our time window".The Initiative Foundation is going to grant over 500k now.I would be careful what you vote in Wright county because we all know how these fees,fines,or taxes or whatever you want to call them explode in time.If the Lake associations,County,State(DNR)continue down these roads the boater population will dramatically decrease in Decades to come.At least on "their"lakes.Look at the "outsider"boater population on Christmas lake.If they have their way know one would boat on "Their"lake.(Maybe this could be a underlying thought in every ones mind.)Some AIS is a real concern.Not all the data is in yet.We should do something about these invaders.Not doing anything about these invaders may cost us all a lot more than money!!!!If there is a public ramp on a lake it is still open to the public.If a lake is infested......no boats in no boats out..simple.Has anyone ever seen a study about waterfowl spreading AIS?c63

To answer your question about the bird study. Probably not because you can't shoot pelicans and cormorants legally. They get a free pass to spread invasives and eat all the fish they want around here. Not sure why they are protected birds. Put a limit on them like ducks.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 13:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Avid,if you listen to the board meeting you hear them mostly act like the DNR is just a small step in their "plight".They giggle and say comments like "whose going to be against clean water?"These things are never as simple as one thinks.Some contend that the whole State is watching this and tend to believe that.Politicians and boards watch what the others pass and bring them to their constituents.Again better watch out what we are passing or pretty soon no one will be trailering boats anywhere!!!!c63

Posted on: 2017/7/5 18:27

LSF Member
The more I look at this situation the more it is becoming clear to me: Lake associations are USING the spectre of invasive species as a wedge to get what they've always wanted: exclusive use of "their" lake. As property owners on a lake, they feel that outsiders are a nuisance. Aside from enjoying a lake home, many people want to become lake-home owners in the first place because of the exclusivity - that feeling of enjoying what you earned that most others cannot - and that exclusivity is disrupted by people using "their" lake on the weekends. Lake associations give them power. Power can lobby city and county boards. The fact that waterways are "public use" sticks in the craw of many lake-home owners. They hate their lakes being used by people who don't own property on the lake. But since they can't erase "public use" from the law, they're shooting for the next best thing: making it so difficult to use that right of public use, that people will just stay away.

This is lake associations figuring out that they can get what they've always wanted by leveraging the panic over invasive species.

It appears that the Wright County Board has been persuaded. It doesn't seem like there is any turning this back - unless there is an immediate groundswell of opposition strong enough to make them reconsider. The political influence of the lake associations may have some sway, but they are sorely outnumbered by public-use boaters - if only we could band together in opposition.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 18:34

LSF Member
After I watched the entire you tube video I was sick to my stomach. At this point they will have to fight more to keep me off. These rich schmucks think they own everything they don't own the water. I Emailed the Sylvia Lake As. Told them I'm coming this weekend were do I get pre checked no answer yet. Surprise huh? As others have said if we don't stop this it will be a half hour check before we can even fish plus mileage to and from. I bet you can't give away bunk trailers in 5 years for on account of float your boat program what a joke.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 18:57

LSF Member
What the hell is "float your boat" anyway?

Posted on: 2017/7/5 20:32

LSF Member
My understanding is it's some type of a pool that you back your boat into if you have bunks. You take your tie downs off it "floats the boat" for 2-3 inches so all the zebra mussels weeds etc. float away from your bunks then they give you a seal of approval and you can now fish a lake and repeat. That's my understanding.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 21:09

Field Staff
From Clearwater\Kimberly
http://www.co.wright.mn.us/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/3397?fileID=8579

This is the info on how it will work.

http://www.co.wright.mn.us/DocumentCenter/View/9677

Here is the link to the county commissioner district 1 to call email your concerns too.
We need to voice our opinions on this matter!!

Posted on: 2017/7/5 22:09

LSF Member
If you click on that first link and look at "Partners" on page 19 of 19, you can see the special interests listed. This is the power of organization for a cause. A few hundred people, organized and funded, are able to coerce a county board to make life miserable for thousands of people, just because they want what they want and are willing to go to the mat to get it.

This is already set in motion, but it should be opposed vigorously and vociferously.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 22:40

LSF Member
From Metro
The actual thought that the spread of AIS can actually be stopped is garbage. The dnr interns at the boat ramp rarely do their jobs well anyways. "What lake were you on last? What lake are you planning on visiting next besides this one? *quick walk around* ok looks good, have a nice day."

I talked to an actual CO at a boat access last year, and we talked about this issue for a little while. He stated that a zebra mussel larvae is about the size of a grain of sand and if they're on your boat it feels like grains of sand. and they will live out of the water for up to 48 hours.

Look at under and between the floats of a pontoon. Have you personally ever tried to walk underneath and physically pull weeds or whatever else out? Good luck with that.

And to actually think about it.... how many boats have you personally every seen turned away from entering a lake? In the last 5-6 years, I've never been personally turned away or seen anybody stopped from entering a lake. The decontamination stations, I don't think I have ever seen one being used.

And how many times have you pulled into the access at 6am and there is a dozen trailers sitting there and no boat inspectors in sight?

Also Christmas Lake had zebra mussels like 5 years before anything was said publicly.

At the end of the day, I would much rather see our money getting put towards a true resolution, not restriction and "prevention." What that resolution would be, I have no idea. But what is going on right now, certainly is not the answer.

Posted on: 2017/7/5 22:59

LSF Member
Right now, the issue of AIS is being commandeered by lake property owners to serve their long-sought goal of restricting public access to the lakeson which they own property. They have organized, and are gaining the ear of politicians, convincing them that the threat of AIS is worth restricting public use of the waterways to which we all have legal right to access.

This is an organized effort to restrict your liberty to access the lakes we all own.

Posted on: 2017/7/6 1:32

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page