Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Leech Lake July 8-15
LSF Member
Been fishing Mille Lacs all year but coming to Leech for family vacation and staying at Grand Vu for the week. I've read Fancaster's reports (thank you very much) but wondering if anybody else is out there and can share your experiences. I am willing to post a report when we get back to share.

Is the crawler / spinner bite a good bet for walleye now? Also any suggestions on panfish or perch for the little kids? I know we will be near Steamboat Bay or the Walker Narrows and to target weed edges but that is a huge area, any suggestions on depths to look for action with the kids?

Thanks, L.Rig

Posted on: 7/5 11:34:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Leech Lake July 8-15
LSF Member
LindyRig,

I was just up on Leech for a week. Wasn't the best weather, wasn't the worst, fished every day. Definitely bug hatches going on, lots of Mayflies in the area I was at. Only fished the main lake, so not that area you are going to be in. Everywhere we tried that we though fish would be in, we caught fish, but never found a school of Walleye, had to keep moving. We ran leeches on red hooks, sometimes small glow beads, and when we couldn't buy a bite we changed to crawlers, plain hook harness, that seemed to trigger bites. Tried spinners but no luck with them at all. Caught Walleye every day, enough keepers for a few fish dinners, and a some overs with the biggest at 26.5". Caught a few Northern Pike, targeted them one day, but they were tough to find. Targeted panfish a couple of times, in areas people shared with me as good location, only found a few small fish, really no luck at all. Tried Muskie a couple times, no luck at all. Was a good week, but not great, and still better than any day at work. Oh, and as far as depth, we had best luck in 10'-12' with rocks and the best time of day was 4pm-6pm, although we never got up with the sun to fish, and the typical hot bite at dusk was non-existent for us.

Posted on: 7/5 13:41:26

LSF Member
Thanks Firecat - nice report I appreciate it.

We go to Leech every year. Sometimes two or three times so I know the lake fairly well. I also have a buddy with a place over on Steamboat, but he just had a baby and not much for fishing time. Similar for me, lots more kid and family time these days than fishing. Although my son who is 5 is turning into a fishing nut so that is really cool.

I'm sure we'll bump into a few walleyes, but it might be a reality check for my son who has been crushing them on Mille Lacs all year. Panfish.... probably a real long shot without spending a bunch of time looking... and even then....

Posted on: 7/6 9:46:45

LSF Member
As promised I'll share my report. Bug hatch was over but fish were reluctant to bite. More family time than fishing time, but probably fished on average 2 hours per day. A lot of our usual spots on the main lake sand flats were totally dead. Only got a handful of pike. Only spot we caught walleyes were on the main lake rock piles. I was consistently marking fish in these areas but they were glued to the bottom and not interested in much. The few walleyes we got were on #7 Pearl white Shad Raps.

Ended up at Horseshoe Bay because of a septic problem at Grand Vu. Ours was the first cabin to flood so I guess we were "lucky" because they had room for us at Horseshoe. Others had to go home.

Still had a good time.....

Posted on: 7/17 13:57:39

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page