Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Hummingbird shutting down
LSF Member
From Roseville MN
I have a Hummingbird 998, and this weekend when I was on Rainey Lake it shutdown, then over the weekend it happened more frequently to the point where I had to restart it about once every couple minutes when I was waiting at the boat landing Sunday afternoon. When I got home I checked the voltage thinking the battery might be weak, but it was at 12.5 volts.
I found one other post on here talking about the same problem on a different humminbird, and it was mentioned that the connections might be bad, and that was the end of the post. I'll be changing those out today, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. If so what did they find.
So I'll change the connections, and try to get out and test it tomorrow, but it seems like a random problem. If that works I'll post the results.
Thanks.

Posted on: 7/6 15:54:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hummingbird shutting down
LSF Member
From Mn
I've deakt with it on different units,Its always been low voltage,Maybe corrosion on connections, loose connecotion,to much draw from other devices in the boat lots of small things to check

* Fully charged batteries store at 12.75 volts
* 50% state of charge is 12.3 volts
* 100% state of discharge is 11.90 volts

Posted on: 7/6 16:04:23

LSF Member
From Roseville MN
Thanks. I thought about current draw because I noticed it with the bowmount trolling motor running the first time, but before I loaded on the trailer I was just running on the outboard and they have separate batteries.
Hopefully it's just a bad connection cause I'm not going to pay $400 to send it to Hummingbird for service.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 7/6 17:31:17

LSF Member
What size wire gauge are you using? Running other graphs? Is it at the bow, or the console?

A lot of guys have problems with the new HD units because they replace an older unit and think the existing wires to the battery should be sufficient. That's not necessarily so, particularly if you're running from the bow all the way back to a battery at the stern. The new HD units are extremely power-hungry, and extremely sensitive to small drops in voltage due to resistance.

These units come with light gauge wire (20 or 22ga if I'm not mistaken). But if you're extending that, you should use heavier wire to account for resistance when the unit draws current over a greater distance. 16ga, 14ga, or better yet, 12ga. Also, it's best to connect direct to the battery with an in-line 3amp fuse, as opposed to connecting to a fuse box or master switch.

I had to learn these things the hard way. My 899 kept shutting down when I first got it, but I did some research, and once I got rid of the power-wire from my old 565 and replaced it with 14ga straight to the battery with an inline 3amp fuse, my problem went away.

Posted on: 7/7 13:54:05

LSF Member
From Roseville MN
I used the wire harness that came with the unit, and I did and an in line fuse.
I change out all the connections at the battery last night, and did clean up a little corrosion. I turned the unit on last night, and left in on in the diveway for about an hour, and it stayed on. Going to let it run tonight in the driveway for a while if I don't make it out tonight. Still want to get it out on the water before I go thinking it's fixed.
Thanks for the help.

Posted on: 7/7 16:04:06

LSF Member
From vadnais heights
Another fix might be to run the power cord directly to the battery. I got some marine duplex wire and some marine ring terminal connectors and ran it directly to the battery. Works awesome and now I know the connections are good to go. I used solder and some crimping on the ring terminals. There was also a 3 amp in line fuse I wired in that came with the unit. Good luck

Posted on: 7/7 17:22:16

LSF Member
From Mora
Sounds like a low voltage problem. Do you have it setup on the screen where it shows you what the volts are?

Posted on: 7/9 9:03:53

LSF Member
From Roseville MN
I had 12.5 volts when I checked it at home.
Haven't been able to get out with it yet, but after changing out the terminals, and cleaning up the posts, I left it running in the driveway for about 8 hours and it stayed on. Don't know what it'll do when it gets bounced around on the water.

Posted on: 7/10 11:32:17

LSF Member
From Mn
If you need anymore help contact me @ sparcebag0@yahoo.com

Posted on: 7/10 15:37:24

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page