Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Tri Tip
LSF Member
From Two Harbors
Anyone have any tri-tip secrets they want to share? Rienhard you have to have something up your sleeve :)

Will be making one on saturday on the traeger. We did a reverse seared one last time and it turned out pretty good. Just wondering if anyone has any killer recipes.

Thanks!

Posted on: 7/10 15:49:37

Re: Tri Tip
I love tri tips and my traeger but best results for me is to use good old charcoal weber. Heavy with rub of choice, fat side up - don't flip, open spot in middle of charcoal, done at 135 or so temp, and sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Yum....

Posted on: 7/10 16:17:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Santa Maria style is dang good

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (2 1/2 pound) beef tri-tip roast
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Stir salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, rosemary, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Place beef in a glass baking dish and coat beef on all sides with spice mixture. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours.

Combine vinegar, vegetable oil, crushed garlic, and Dijon mustard together in a sealable container. Cover the container and shake to blend ingredients.

Remove beef from refrigerator, uncover, and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

Place meat on preheated grill and brush with garlic-vinegar mixture. Cook meat for 4 minutes, flip, and baste. Repeat the flip and baste process every 4 minutes until beef starts to firm and is reddish-pink and juicy in the center, 25 to 30 minutes total. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Posted on: 7/11 0:24:52

LSF Member
From andover
The guy's above did a great job of giving tips for a Tri Tip. You probably know but just in case with this cut, make sure you slice against the grain. You can really tell with this cut where the grain runs. That internal temp of 130 is the key as well as has been mentioned. I let mine rest for 10 min. or so under some foil before slicing. Let's the juices re-distribute a bit. good luck.

Posted on: 7/11 7:43:06

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Staff Team
Since my Brisket plans are on hold I am headed to Fairbault MN for what some say are the best marinated Tri Tip in the state. I will pick one up and smoke it on the Traeger grill until it hits 130 than pull off and turn up the smoker and sear the tri tip. If I can find a couple of nice pounds of crab legs that will be the ticket. Will have pictures hopefully late tomorrow. Reverse sear they call it and looks like it will work great dealing with a Traeger grill.

I wish I had Mossymo's twice baked potato recipe, they look so great in the pictures. I will try and see if he has it on his website.............Kirk

Posted on: 7/11 14:24:11

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From andover
Kirk I have a twice baked potato recipe as well on my site on the Recipe Page that a lot of folks love. good luck.

Posted on: 7/11 16:44:54

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
kirk when you're at gramps picken up a tri tip get some of the scallops he has they are as good as the tri tip

Posted on: 7/12 8:10:37

Staff Team
Thank you hooks, I will have to do that.....Kirk

Posted on: 7/12 8:25:38

Pro Staff- The Dangler

LSF Member
From Two Harbors
Thanks for all the tips guys!! Lots of good stuff.

I agree with the point on making sure you cut it correctly. There is a great visual and blog post on the traeger website if you do a search for "how to carve a tri tip" it will take your there.

I have to give a shout out to Reinhards twice baked potatoes, they are great! Also jalepeno poppers!

Thanks guys

Posted on: 7/12 11:36:59

Staff Team
Thanks for all the help and it turned out perfect. Smoked for 3 hours until 135 than turvned Traeger to 450 and seared the tri tip. A perfect smoke ring and medium rare........kirk

Attach file:

jpeg  image.jpeg (579.31 KB)
4631_59675c614a0f4.jpeg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 7/13 6:29:04

Pro Staff- The Dangler

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page