Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Dock recommendations?
LSF Member
Im looking to replace my dock and so many options I'm overwhelmed. Floe, shoremaster, Hewitt, soderblooms, different surfaces, aluminum, maintenance free, different install systems. What are your recommendations, who's a great dealer, what brand has features that you love or hate?

Posted on: 7/10 20:11:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dock recommendations?
LSF Member
From Minneapolis, MN / North Shore of Mille Lacs
We were in this same boat two years ago. It was helpful to go to the boat show and sportshow to look and compare docks. All of the major brands are there and in one place.

I think a major factor in making a decision on which dock to purchase has to do with the conditions of your lake and/or shoreline. Do you have room to put in and take out a roll in as one unit? Are you on a hill? Rocky shoreline? Depending on these conditions you may be better with more modular type of dock.

One thing I would definitely recommend is not getting a dock with cedar decking. If you don't keep up with staining it will only look nice for a little while. It will eventually begin to rot, moss will grow on it, and I find it to be slippery when wet.

We decided to purchased a Floe dock system as we felt this best fit our needs of a more modular roll in type of dock. We also liked that we could slowly add to it every year. Up until this spring I would have definitely recommended this. Now I am not so sure. This spring I had one of the adjustable legs fail. The dealer came out and replaced it, after me having to contact Floe themself. Another leg failed shortly after this. They then came out and replaced all of the legs. Floe said they had received at one time a bad batch of the plastic nuts that are in the legs for the screw adjustment mechanism. This made them easier to strip out. I will say that Floe has been very good about standing behind their product and fixing it all under warranty. I am just a little nervous that this will be a reoccurring problem.

Posted on: 7/11 7:02:03

LSF Member
From Grand Forks, ND
I've got a cabin on a nice gradual decent with sandy bottom. Have the space for a full roll in dock. 48 feet plus an 8 foot "L".

Next dock WILL have a way to adjust the height of the dock from the dock. Not a come along or two guys lifting it and loosening/tightening set bolts in the water.

Mine is steel. It's heavy, but its on the direct east shore of a lake wide enough that when the wind comes up out of the West I love having the weight of it to keep it there and not worry if it will be picked up and moved or destroyed like the aluminum docks my neighbors have had destroyed.

Wood vs aluminum decking. All personal preference in my opinion. I like the look of wood, so that's what I have. Replace one to two sections (4 foot sections) every spring. Seems to keep up with it the best.

Posted on: 7/11 9:06:06

LSF Member
From Bemidji mn
We had a Shore master and my wife and I put it out every year by ourselves,it was 8 foot lengths made out of aluminum with cedar planks that we took off every fall and stored in the shed.We're both in our 60's and it was very easy to carry it and put it together and all the accessories lock on the rails cheesy easy

Posted on: 7/11 13:49:22

LSF Member
PM sent

Posted on: 7/13 17:38:34

LSF Member
Thanks for all your replies, keep them coming.

Posted on: 7/13 18:11:48

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page