Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

No snag?
LSF Member
From Blaine
What is everyone using to fish timber? Ive been exploring rivers recently and wondering if anyone has found a "go to" jig that doesnt hang up as much as standard jigs but also doesnt effect hook sets. Lookin for something that would work with live bait or plastics for smallies and walleye. Any advice would be appreciated

Posted on: 7/24 12:18:43

Re: No snag?
LSF Member
For smallies and plastics, I use these, and they bounce off rocks, sticks, and logs better than anything, not to mention weeds. Screw the soft plastic into the spring baitholder, and rig weedless with a swimbait, a senko, a crawdad... the shape of the jig-head deflects off objects well, and helps keep the hook-point away from timber.

Posted on: 7/27 12:15:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Blaine
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Who makes it? Sorry for the late response, i dont receive notifications any more i guess

Posted on: 8/2 4:55:28

LSF Member
From Cambridge
I use these when fishing smaller plastics. http://customjigs.com/products/draggin-jig.html
The one in the above post is similar to what I use fishing large swimbaits.

Posted on: 8/2 5:59:50

LSF Member
Quote:

FishinIsLife wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Who makes it? Sorry for the late response, i dont receive notifications any more i guess

It's called a Stanley Swim-Max. It's designed for swim-baits, but it works perfectly for any soft plastics that you want to rig weedless. It's my go-to for senkos if I'm fishing in any kind of cover and I want a little more weight than a plain 0/5 or 0/4 hook.

Edited to add: I used to be able to find these at Cabela's, but for some reason they stopped carrying them. The last couple dozen I bought to get me through the next season or two I ordered online direct from the Stanley Jig website...

http://fishstanley.com/product/stanley-swimmax-hooks/

Posted on: 8/2 10:49:56

LSF Member
From Metro
Any sort of shakey head jig will work, just texpose the hook and you'll be alright. Texas rigged plastics with a pegged bullet weight for flipping works as well. If it's done right, when the fish hits, it will expose the hook so you can drive it home.

Another bait you might want to try on timber is a square bill crankbait. Typically they're shallow running. The square bill on it will typically keep the bait perpendicular to the wood, thus keeping the hooks from getting caught up. It's weird at first because you can feel the bait bumping the log but doesn't get snagged up. Awesome baits.

Posted on: 8/2 21:06:37

LSF Member
What river we talking rum or sippi?

I like to use stike king foot ball jigs

You can use them plain or throw a rage bd craw or similar jig on them

you can also just use the craw jig and texas rig it

Attach file:

jpg  12.jpg (6.92 KB)
34126_5982aafc9a64a.jpg 225X225 px

jpg  44.jpg (164.77 KB)
34126_5982ab3f46ac7.jpg 1280X720 px

jpg  P8150141.JPG (73.20 KB)
34126_5982ac3170e57.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 8/2 23:53:18

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page