Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Mille Lacs resorts
LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
I have a honest question.

Why aren't the resorts on the lake having any huge discounts to get more customers to come rent cabins, fish houses use the launches and spend money up there?

I know they have to pay people to clean those cabins and ice houses, but I would think a lot more people would be very interested in using them if they were more affordable.

At least something is better than nothing.

Just curious.

Posted on: 7/24 15:26:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mille Lacs resorts
LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Not a stupid question.

Most resorts up here were already operating below cost.

Posted on: 7/24 19:20:13

LSF Member
From Metro
Not to stir the pot... but why is it that the people who fish walleye will pay to stay at a resort for a weekend, when people who fish bass don't typically stay the weekend? From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the bass guys will make it a day trip and leave. I totally understand why they don't stop at lundeens or johnsons portside, but it just seems odd to me why they don't seem to stick around for multiple days? (No offense to any person or groups of people)

Is it that walleyes are more a "family friendly" way of fishing or there just that many more people chasing walleye over bass? I was in Isle, 2 weekends ago for smallies. Weather was absolutely great. The resorts definitely didn't seem busy but the public access was full.
Every boat that I saw had only one or 2 guys. And johnsons portside was fairly empty, most people just getting gas.

Compared to walleye opener, lots of boats and lots of families.

Yeah, the lake has been and always will be seen as a walleye lake, in a state where the predominant group of fishers will be chasing walleye.

But for me personally, i fish everything from crappies and gills to lake trout and Muskie, and everything in between. If I'm going to make a day trip somewhere or if I'm planning on staying for a weekend, it doesn't matter what species I'm after.

Posted on: 7/24 21:50:27

LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
Another valid question, LC.

Not sure that I can answer for others, but for myself it's being able to keep some of what I catch to make a meal for the family. It is a time to share my skill at being a provider with family and friends and living off the land more than being able to just boat a fish, which is what most muskie and bass fishermen enjoy.

Not sure which is "right", but after a hard day of fishing, I like to look forward to a meal from all my hard work and expense.

Again, that's just me, but I know a lot of fishermen and women that feel the same way...........

Posted on: 7/25 8:02:37

LSF Member
Quote:

fishnpole wrote:
Another valid question, LC.

Not sure that I can answer for others, but for myself it's being able to keep some of what I catch to make a meal for the family. It is a time to share my skill at being a provider with family and friends and living off the land more than being able to just boat a fish, which is what most muskie and bass fishermen enjoy.

Not sure which is "right", but after a hard day of fishing, I like to look forward to a meal from all my hard work and expense.

Again, that's just me, but I know a lot of fishermen and women that feel the same way...........

+1

I don't freeze fish. I eat them that night, or I don't keep them.
So no, I hardly ever take a limit of anything unless there are guests involved.

The last time I did that it was a limit of stockers out of the Stewart River for campfire Rainbow dinner for a few people........and that was a long time ago.

So unless I am fishing with friends on a trip, I'm probably not fishing any water that I can't bring home dinner anymore.

Posted on: 7/25 10:01:31

LSF Member
Quote:

LakerChaser93 wrote:
when people who fish bass don't typically stay the weekend? From what I've seen, it seems like a lot of the bass guys will make it a day trip and leave.

Probably the same reason bass guys have 300 HP motors and fly around all over the lake. They can't sit still very long.

Posted on: 7/25 10:11:56

LSF Member
Mille lacs is close enough to cities for day trips.

The sale of live bait also helps resorts. Leeches especially. Most bass guys don't have to use live bait.

Posted on: 7/25 10:27:01

LSF Member
From Metro
Steelhead,

Yes I totally understand that portion. Standing in the local bait shop in the morning, watching bass boat after bass boat go by. They already have everything they need.

But also, the location of the lake has not changed. If you could fish walleye, why pay the $500 to stay at a resort when a day trip will suffice?
Bass guys come from all over the state and more recently the Midwest, in general, but walleye guys would and have been doing the same.

Maybe more bass fisherman in the metro compared to up north?

I might pay $100 in gas to make two 10 hour trips in a weekend but that's nothing compared to the cost of staying at a resort. Walleye, bass, or Muskie, what I am after does not matter to me.

But everything that has been said in this thread, are valid points.

Fishnpole;

Yes I understand what you are saying. When I go to Duluth or the apostle islands, I am keeping fish, within law and reason. For me, trout and salmon on that body of water are the most challenging to catch and the reward of keeping some of those fish to enjoy are one great bonus.

For the most part though, I am a catch and release fisherman. Even during ice season, I will fish crappies, gills, and walleyes for fun.

I am not against keeping fish at all.

I guess my mindset is more about going more for the experience and to get away from life. The fish are a bonus. Yes, deep fried walleye makes everything better at the end of the day, but not my goal.

You are right, I'm not sure which is "right" or "wrong" at the end of the day. But I honestly don't think either are wrong or right. It's that individuals choice what to do with what they catch.

Posted on: 7/25 13:45:59

LSF Member
If I stayed at a resort every time I went to a lake fishing bass I would be broke. Part of the reason is there are so many good largemouth lakes around I don't need to spend extra money staying at a resort. I can make a day trip come home and the next day go 10 mins from my house and slam nice large mouths.

people made lake Mille Lacs a "resort" culture which is fine but not necessary for every one. Like I said I don't need to stay at a resort I fish many lakes north Mille Lacs that don't have resorts and come back the same day as well.

Posted on: 7/26 1:23:16

LSF Member
It's probably worth pointing out that I spend FAR more money on rods, reels, and lures as a (primarily) bass angler now than I ever did when I mostly fished for walleyes. The problem - from the ML area perspective - is that the local shops are way behind the curve and don't carry what bass guys need.

I would happily spend my money in the area to support local businesses - and I know many of my friends fell the same - but there's nowhere to park it. Resorts and bait shops aren't any more immune to the risks of changing business climates, needs, and opportunities than any other line of business. And it's not just the ML area. Up here in the Grand Rapids area there is precious little available locally, even though there are tons of bass guys up here.

Consequently, we end up stocking up when we get down to the cities at Capras or Thorne Bros or something like that, or as a last resort (for me, anyway) an online store like Tackle Warehouse. As a former small town community banker, believe me I would much rather spend my money locally if given the option, even if it's a bit more expensive.

As far as bass guys not staying as long as walleye guys, I think one of the comments upstream hit it pretty well. The traditional family resort vacation built around walleye fishing is a different deal than a couple of hardcore bass guys chasing trophies. The bass boats are often on the water before the sun clears the trees and off the water after the sun sets...not as conducive to a family trip (though I know some who do). One isn't better or worse, they're just different.

I had to chuckle at the goofy "300 hp motors/bass guys can't sit still comment." That guy has evidently not sat over a slab of rock in 30 feet of water trying for 30 minutes to get one fish on the graph to bit a dropshot :)

Anyway...I hope that resorts can break out of their ruts, realize that the world is not a static system, and learn to market all that the lake has to offer rather than just relying on the walleye bit that sustained them for so long. The times they are a-changin', and businesses that don't change with the times usually go the way of the passenger pigeon.

Tight lines to all, no matter what species you're chasing!

Posted on: 8/1 14:55:54

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page