Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Boating in big waters
LSF Member
From Maple grove
Hey guys looking at hearing everyone's tactics in driving in ugly waters? We have all been out in those 4 foot plus stuff here and there but it's not the most fun learning on the fly so what is the best approach when you need to get across a lake in nasty conditions with company?

thanks, I'm looking forward to the different approaches

Posted on: 7/31 12:57:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Boating in big waters
LSF Member
First, I always finish my beer as the waves tend to make it go flat. Next, I put on my PFD. Third, I'll follow the wind protected shoreline as long as I can...Than I go for it. If going against the waves, make sure you keep forward momentum or it will get ugly fast. Go slow and ride the waves at a slight angle. Going with the waves, I tend to "surf them" while also keeping a pace slightly faster than the waves so I don't get hit from behind. Lastly, once I make it to calm water (Hope like HEL-L I'm not docking or trailering on the windward side of a lake, I crack open another beer in celebration!

Posted on: 7/31 13:36:15

LSF Member
Larger waters can produce extremely large waves and swells in very windy conditions. Like pulley16 said , trying to stay on the wind protected shoreline , if possible, will help ,minus the beer.... Against the waves , usually means a slow go , and depending on your boat size , can be a wet ride. Going with the waves isn't quite as bad , it will be like surfing the waves .... A cross wind gives you the potential for a dangerous go , and also a wet ride in a smaller craft , I always try , if at all possible, to avoid cross wind conditions... Gunder2, you did not state the size of your boat , open bow boats will give you the wettest ride . Larger boats with windshields and tops will handle the large waves the best , and will protect you from the splashing water ... if you don't feel comfortable with your boat in nasty waves , then probably better to wait it out ... in my opinion , it's when you encounter the large waves and deep swells that some lakes can produce , can be the worst scenario... be safe .

Posted on: 8/1 6:59:29

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Take the shortest safe distance to calmer water, may not always be a straight line and definitely won't always be the "shortest route". Try not to have cross waves, if that means you need to zig zag and take longer then zig zag and take longer.

Then I agree with pulleye once you get to safe water open your next beer

Posted on: 8/1 9:00:00

LSF Member
Agreed!

IMO The safest route is not ever even close to a straight line!

Take your time, surf following seas, and try to cut the waves at a bit of an angle going into it.

Big is when you can see the birds and the boats around you when you are Up, and nothing but Water when you are in the trough.

I have fished it up to 18-20 footers in a 28' boat in Mexico.
But they are a football field across the tops!

I'd rather that than the 5' Choppers on Mille Lac.

Posted on: 8/1 9:42:25

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
If I had my fishing boat in 18 foot waves I'm afraid it would end like that book "The Perfect Storm"

Posted on: 8/1 10:04:31

LSF Member
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
If I had my fishing boat in 18 foot waves I'm afraid it would end like that book "The Perfect Storm"

Naw! The commercial Pangaros are running 22-24" open Pangas wiith like a 90 horse Yammy on the back and flying wide open on those Rollers.

They head out at O Dark Thirty and will go out 80 miles looking for Yellowfin Tuna.

Posted on: 8/1 11:52:47

LSF Member
From Otsego MN
I agree with Bandersnatch. The big waves that are spread out are pretty tame, just gnarly when you can't see anything around you. The fast chop waves are the ones that get scary no matter what size boat you have. I have found that when in some very large fast chop waves you might have to do throttle burps to keep the bow of the boat high at the bottom of the troughs to keep from spearing the next wave and taking on a large amount of water. I have a 20 foot Warrior tiller, which is pretty good in most things, but once out of the red door on Mille Lacs we got into some gnarly waves with a 20 mph wind from the south!
Was able to troll into the waves for a while until it was just to technical with a tiller. If we caught a fish it was all up to the other person to bring it in because the boat and throttle control was too important to keep the boat from turning / rolling. Just me and the wife and I don't think she thought it was as much fun as I did. I guess the key is to be patient and play the waves. Anyone can get into a big boat and skip at high speeds, but when the rogue waves appear it can get bad quick. Don't forget the PFDs and the tether kill lanyard.

Posted on: 8/1 12:25:05

LSF Member
Air ride seats helps so your beer doesn't spill!

Posted on: 8/1 12:49:27

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page