Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Kosher dill pickle recipes
LSF Member
From Mora
Im looking for a good kosher dill pickle recipe that is easy and the pickles stay crispy. Anyone willing to share a recipe? Or any secrets to keeping the pickles crispy? Ive tried different recipes and nothing seems to be to my liking or the different batches of pickles are inconsistent.

Posted on: 8/1 14:14:19

Re: Kosher dill pickle recipes
Pro Staff
From Fosston, Mn
I always use the Ms Wages packets and have never had a problem. The key is to put them in the fridge the night before opening them and they are always crispy for me. Otherwise, the Ball Blue Book of Canning has some recipes I am going to experiment with soon.

Posted on: 8/1 14:21:10

LSF Member
From 55416
1) Wash the cukes really well, make you do use fresh ones with no soft spots. One small soft spot on one cuke will wreck a whole jar.
2) Trim the blossom ends of the cukes before processing, they contain an enzyme that can soften texture.
3) Add either pickle crisp or alum to each jar during processing. Old school canners swear by alum, I use pickle crisp and it works well.

I never cared for the Ms Wages packs, always too salty for me. I'm making some on Saturday and will post my brine recipe before then. It's really straightforward and I use it for any processed pickled veg I make. 1-2 garlic cloves per pint jar or 2-4 cloves per quart, 1-2 dill flower heads and a fresh dill sprig or two per jar for kosher dills.

Posted on: 8/2 11:47:16

LSF Member
From Mora
Quote:

Bobb-o wrote:
I always use the Ms Wages packets and have never had a problem. The key is to put them in the fridge the night before opening them and they are always crispy for me. Otherwise, the Ball Blue Book of Canning has some recipes I am going to experiment with soon.

Ive used Ms Wages before too and its alright but, I would like to find something better.

Posted on: 8/2 13:59:14

LSF Member
From Gentilly, MN
Ms Wages has worked ok for me in the past. Side note- I bought a jar of horseradish pickles from Bucky's Bar at the State HS Trap shoot this year, Man they were good! I'm soaking some hardboiled eggs in the leftover brine now! MMM-MMM.

Posted on: 8/2 15:19:50

LSF Member
From MN
Here is a recipe we really like, but we have never canned them, always just make enough for a 6-8 months.

2 DILL FLOWERS
2 CLOVES GARLIC PEELED AND HALVED
1-1/4 POUND CUKES (8-10) PICKLE SIZED
6 LONG SPRIGS FRESH DILL
1 TBS COARSE KOSHER SALT
VINEGAR
DISTILLED WATER

PUT DILL FLOWER AND GARLIC IN BOTTOM OF MASON JAR ADD CUKES, PUT THE SPRIGS IN CENTER OF CUKES, ADD SALT, FILL JAR WITH EQUAL AMOUNTS OF WATER AND VINEGAR TO WITHIN AN 1/8 INCH OF THE TOP, PUT ON SEAL AND RING, SHAKE TO DISSOLVE SALT, SET UPSIDE DOWN ON COUNTER AWAY FROM SUNLIGHT AND HEAT SOURCES, LET SIT 4-5 DAYS FLIPPING JAR EACH DAY, THEN 2 DAYS UPRIGHT, THEN REFIDGERATE, THEY WILL BE RAEDY AFTER THE 2 DAYS IN FRIDGE, THEY LAST VERY WELL FOR 6 MONTHS, THEN START TO GET SOFT THE LONGER THEY SIT.

Posted on: 8/8 15:18:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page