Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Helix 7 problem
LSF Member
From Clara City
I just recently got a Helix 7 SI and have been having issues accessing the lake chart when I first start it up. If I have it on a sonar setting everything works well, but when I try to switch to the chart the unit shuts down and restarts. It does this 3-4 times, then usually it will finally work and is good to go for the rest of the time on the water. I have a MN Lakemaster chip, version 7 in the unit. Anybody ever have this happen to them, and if so, what did you have to do to fix it? Thanks.

Posted on: 8/10 14:33:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Helix 7 problem
LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
almost sounds like a bad connection between the micro card and the internals, make sure it "clicks"
I'll give you the customer service number one question if you call, "have you updated your helix to the newest software?"
otherwise....
try powering on the unit without the chip in it and run through the different views, go to the chart view and look around on the basemap, after playing around with it for a bit without the chip in it, plug it back in to see if thats when it goes haywire. that way, you can narrow down the problem if its a unit problem or the chip.

Posted on: 8/10 16:31:56

LSF Member
I just got mine back (helix 7 si gps)from humminbird.Mine wouldn't read the lake card at all.They installed a new circuit board still under warranty.Turned on today in simulator mode and it seems to be fine.Shows all lakes in mn so far so good.Will report back after getting to use it on the water!!!c63

Posted on: 8/10 19:37:32

LSF Member
From Wright county
I just picked up a helix 9 SI from gander mountain in forest lake. There was a tag on the box saying it would not power up past the load screen. I knew it still had a factory warranty so I wasn't concerned. After a few calls to hummingbird, I got a return authorization and it went in today. Should have it back in about 2 weeks.

I ended up paying $600 for the unit. Plus tax and shipping to hummingbird. I'll have my 798 for sale shortly (including an ice fishing setup). Any idea what it's worth???

Posted on: 8/10 22:31:03

LSF Member
From Clara City
Thanks guys for the replies. I took the card out and was able to go to charts and see the base map fine. I then inserted the card and the map came right up. I then shut the unit off and powered it back up and tried accessing the map and it shut down again. It also shut down on me once while it was on the sonar tab before i could even navigate to the chart tab. Thinking it must be the unit????

Posted on: 8/11 11:52:18

LSF Member
Circuit board issue like mine.There were others that have had the same issue.Humminbird has been good customer service so far.Call them and see what they think the problem is.Good luck Cooper hope you get up and running!!!!!c63

Posted on: 8/11 13:53:25

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
damn, you could try to limp buy until your down fishing this summer, just wait til everything loads, then add the chip.

send the unit in this fall unless your warranty is coming to a close?

Posted on: 8/11 13:56:10

LSF Member
Turn unit on and press menu......go down to system status........this will display your current software version.Go to the website to find your version or update yours.Then go to the gps diagnostic view by touching the exit key once.In the bottom right corner of the diagnostic screen view your unit should say LkMasterMn or LkMaster/whatever sd card is installed in the unit. If there is just small dash lines in the chart card box your unit is not reading the card. To exit system status turn off unit.Your going to have to send to humminbird..Hope this helps.c63

Posted on: 8/11 14:20:02

LSF Member
Your power button might be sticking........my zoom in/out buttons(+/-) are very sticky.........these units can be temperamental...................I think I shall name my unit "Alice"

Posted on: 8/11 14:36:15

LSF Member
From Clara City
Thanks again for the help. I just bought the unit about a month ago, so I should be ok with warranty and will probably just wait until the season is over, I can get by inserting the card after everything is up and running. I am not the most tech savvy guy, so I was just wondering if there was something on my end that I was doing wrong or if it was indeed the unit. If anybody has any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Posted on: 8/11 19:40:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page