Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Coywolfs in Mn
LSF Member
Has anyone else noticed lately how hard it is to distinguish between a coyote and timberwolf in there trail cam pics . Coywolfs are a real animal , and someone needs to challenge Mn DNR's classification of wolves and coyote.

Oh I know you always hear that timber wolves will kill or move coyote out of the vicinity , but cross breeding is a real occurrence, and coywolfs are the outcome.

I'm sure our Mn DNR does not want to touch this subject at all . The numbers they use for wolves here in our state just dont add up whatsoever. It seems that all hunters or hunting camps each have there own stories these days of wolves , be it sightings , tracks , scat , trail cam pics .

There's a lot of BS about our wolf population . We really need to rough up some feathers on this matter. . . The truth is coywolfs are adding up , they have staggering hunting abilities of both breeds , and are taking our deer at a alarming amount .

Look over your trail cam pics , and pics posted here on this sight , I bet most of them have both blood lines in there genes .they just don't look like a true Grey wolf.

Posted on: 8/10 21:15:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Coywolfs in Mn
LSF Member
From andover
Very interesting. I seen what I thought was a wolf off 35W near Hinkley one day. Didn't think they were that far south but who knows could be what you are talking about.. I hunt up north of Duluth and I know those are true wolves. They do harm to the deer population and need to be controlled. good luck.

Posted on: 8/11 8:56:07

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I have not seen a wolf that far south, just north of Mille Lacs is probably the farthest south I have seen one. But I have family that claim they have seen them down around the Elko/Lakeville area. Maybe could have been Coywolf I dont know.

It's interesting to bring up because the topic of wolf or yote on game cams has come up many times and lots of times there are differing opinions, I wonder how many of those are coywolfs?

I've never heard that term before. Are coywolfs able to reproduce?

Posted on: 8/11 19:29:59

LSF Member
From Mn

Posted on: 8/11 19:52:42

LSF Member
Ok , call them what you want ,and as your article says , yes there is hybrid wolves out there.. My whole point here is that a true pure grey wolf is a federally protected animal , ok then protect them if they must , BUT if a animal does have mostly , partly , or some blood/genes of a coyote in its make up , well then that's not a true pure bred grey wolf and therefore should not be a protected animal anymore.. we do need to challenge our DNR's classification of grey wolves and coyotes . If it ain't pure it shouldn't be protected then .

Posted on: 8/12 21:07:16

LSF Member
You shoot what you think is a coyoteXwolf hybrid and the DNA test done as part of law enforcement investigation shows it is, in fact, a pure wolf you are in for a big fine, etc.

How are you going to know prior to pulling the trigger?

ClearCreek

Posted on: 8/12 23:28:50

LSF Member
From Duluth
Part of the problem is trail cam pics can be very deceiving,but I'm not going to get to worked up,wolves are here to stay.
In the 80's wolves were still in the nemaji forest south of Duluth so to see one in hinckley wouldn't surprise me. At least nowadays.
Still think eventually the state will have hunting season again. If you're so inclined,,,apply for a tag.
15yrs ago when hunting Jay Cooke State Park saw over 20+ deer in one day muzzle loader season,7-8 years ago saw one or two all season and lots of wolf sign.
Last couple seasons deer are around,wolves also,seems like a ebb and flow starting to even out as natural as can be expected given the way habitats exist today.
I've seen some some big coyotes as well as a few wolf, but don't believe we're being over run with coywolf nor do I think we will any time soon.
Hunt,Fish,Camp! Thanks for sharing

Posted on: 8/13 16:51:32

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page