Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Coywolfs in Mn
LSF Member
From Osseo MN
Coyote pic first ever only had wolf pics before North east of McGregor

Attach file:

jpeg  C7B698B8-E070-4AAB-BBDB-CB2545A2CED1.jpeg (3,029.76 KB)
12832_5aff4803d8137.jpeg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 2018/5/18 16:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Ogilvie mn
I've seen plenty of wolves in the ogilvie/milaca area. I find it highly skeptical that were being over run by hybrids or any sort of wolf or coyote. Just because you see one while your hunting doesn't mean were over run.

Posted on: 2018/5/19 11:08

LSF Member
Are we being over run by Coys , not sure ,BUT they are out there to some degree. Iím not saying it itís always a half n half situation , it may be as little as 1% of impurities over time , thus making it not 100% timber wolf gene ,thus that animal should not be protected anymore . This phenomenon is from a highly respected wildlife biologist who brings this up , the guy knows his stuff . He is not saying there is constant inbreeding between a male wolf and female coyote , or the other way around , but any future offspring will contain some dna of the parents and those animals future breeding will pass on more not pure dna , and so on and so on . Why protect a animal thatís not pure DNA ?? Again we say that the state of Mn needs to be challenged on just what constitutes a a true Grey Wolf . .

Posted on: 2018/7/25 7:35

LSF Member
So you're saying if a wolf as at least 1% coyote in it then it should no longer fall under the current federal protection?

I've got to ask, how in the hell would you be able to identify an animal as being 99% wolf versus 100% wolf? You'd have to shoot it and then put it through DNA testing to figure out if the animal you just killed is protected or legal to shoot. Do you see the issue here?

There simply is no way to visually determine the purity of the wolf standing in front of you. Like I said in an earlier post there are far too many hunters that can't tell the difference between a 100% pure gray wolf and a 100% pure coyote. How can we start asking people to determine on the fly the purity level?

Posted on: 2018/7/25 10:42

LSF Member
Im pretty sure you can test any animal (including humans)by using 30 to 50 hair/root samples.The tricky part is talking the wolf/coyotes/whatever(s) to stop and give a "good" sample of fur/hair!LOL.......so no you don't (have to)kill the animal to check it's DNA lineage.P.S. check the info on coyote/dog/wolf hybridization. Interesting data on these creatures for sure.Happy wolfing!c63

Posted on: 2018/7/25 15:11

LSF Member
Quote:

chris63 wrote:
Im pretty sure you can test any animal (including humans)by using 30 to 50 hair/root samples.The tricky part is talking the wolf/coyotes/whatever(s) to stop and give a "good" sample of fur/hair!LOL.......so no you don't (have to)kill the animal to check it's DNA lineage.P.S. check the info on coyote/dog/wolf hybridization. Interesting data on these creatures for sure.Happy wolfing!c63

Ok fair enough you don't HAVE to kill the animal first

While you're plucking hair samples you should also probably spray paint a marking on the wolf so that once lab tests come back you'll be able to tell which one it was that proved to be only 98% wolf so you can come back later and shoot it. Either that or just look for the one still covered in your blood, odds are they'll be the same wolf.

Posted on: 2018/7/25 15:23

LSF Member
Just saying if it ainít pure it should not be protected , Period ...... why is that so hard to grasp ? I donít know the answer either on how to cull the inbreeds , just more reason to eliminate the dumb federal protections placed upon these animals , and then have at em ... my ,my , my ..... bang !! Poof gone . Yowza !! Howling at the moon on a hot summer night I am .... lol

Posted on: 2018/7/25 20:56

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
I say none of them should be protected and all of them should be managed. Most will just continue to SSS on their properties.

I have seen wolves while hunting the deep woods in St.Croix State Park. That's the furthest south Ive seen one.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 8:29
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

LSF Member
Bigfatber, its not hard to grasp that you think they shouldn't be protected but what I don't understand is how you ignore the practical side of this.

Coywolves would be protected only because there is no practical way of positively confirming their true identity visually in order to hunt them. Its not an issue of people thinking they deserve protection its a practical issue of there being no way to single them out, especially if you think that a wolf with only 1% coyote DNA is now classified as a coywolf. That 99% wolf is going to look EXACTLY like the 100% wolf, how in the world are you going to know which one is legal to shoot and which one isn't?

The topic of making it legal to shoot coywolf is so far fetched that its barely worth the effort to discuss. First there is no evidence that there is viable population of them in MN, sure there is probably some cross breeding from time to time but I suspect its fairly rare since most wolves don't tolerate other K9 very well. Even if there is a reasonable population there is no practical way to accurately identify them visually thus no way to create a hunting season for them.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 9:12

LSF Member
Quote:

nofishfisherman wrote:
Bigfatber, its not hard to grasp that you think they shouldn't be protected but what I don't understand is how you ignore the practical side of this.

Coywolves would be protected only because there is no practical way of positively confirming their true identity visually in order to hunt them. Its not an issue of people thinking they deserve protection its a practical issue of there being no way to single them out, especially if you think that a wolf with only 1% coyote DNA is now classified as a coywolf. That 99% wolf is going to look EXACTLY like the 100% wolf, how in the world are you going to know which one is legal to shoot and which one isn't?

The topic of making it legal to shoot coywolf is so far fetched that its barely worth the effort to discuss. First there is no evidence that there is viable population of them in MN, sure there is probably some cross breeding from time to time but I suspect its fairly rare since most wolves don't tolerate other K9 very well. Even if there is a reasonable population there is no practical way to accurately identify them visually thus no way to create a hunting season for them.

Iím not trying to single out coy wolfs. All wolves should be delisted as protected . Just curious as to your stance on that nofishfisherman , are you for the end to this federal protection or not ?

Posted on: 2018/7/26 18:18

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page