Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Coywolfs in Mn
LSF Member
Ok nofishfisherman , how about this , coyote hunting is legal here in Mn . Do you believe there are coyotes being trapped , or shot that have a trace of wolf in there genes ? Is that ok , or should coyotes not be allowed to be hunted , trapped here in Mn . How do you tell if that coyote has wolf genes before you pull the trigger ? Weather you want to believe it or not , where coyote and wolves co exist, in breeding will and does happen more than you seem to think .

Posted on: 2018/7/26 18:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Need more data......to say wolf/dogs/yotes are cross breeding is speculation at best.Most say unlikely these are cross breeding due to differences in timing of gestation.Not impossible just VERY unlikely.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 1:57

LSF Member
Quote:

Bigfatber wrote:
Ok nofishfisherman , how about this , coyote hunting is legal here in Mn . Do you believe there are coyotes being trapped , or shot that have a trace of wolf in there genes ? Is that ok , or should coyotes not be allowed to be hunted , trapped here in Mn . How do you tell if that coyote has wolf genes before you pull the trigger ? Weather you want to believe it or not , where coyote and wolves co exist, in breeding will and does happen more than you seem to think .

Perhaps there are a few coyotes being trapped that have a trace of wolf in their DNA but the point is the same as it is for hunting a wolf with a trace of coyote...there is absolutely no way of knowing without extensive DNA testing.

Lets approach this from a different perspective. Why don't you tell me how you think a legal season on coywolf would go. How are you going to identify your target animal as being 100% wolf or only 99% wolf? When you drag what you think is a 99% wolf out of the woods how is the CO supposed to know its ok because it has 1% coyote DNA? Visually there will be no difference.

Also I'm not denying they exist, what I'm saying is there is no conclusive evidence that they exist beyond a rare one in a million chance. Until you can prove that then its really a non-starter.

Besides as long as there is federal protection in place for wolves you're never going to get a legal season on a 99% wolf. Your time and energy are better served spent working to get the wolf delisted from Federal protection. Then we can get the hunt started back up again.

Posted on: 2018/7/27 8:47

LSF Member
I agree 100 % that there is no way to know without extensive DNA testing . I never said I want a coy wolf season , how would you ever do that .
As for your no conclusive evidence that they exist , well you are sooooo wrong with that statement , there is very much conclusive evidence of the existence of coy wolfs right here in Mn. , Ontario , Wi , UP Michigan...
As for your one in a million chance ,goodness , our DNR says that there approximately 3000-3500 wolves here in Mn , which I personally believe is hogwash , there are more than that . For this discussion I will use these numbers our almighty DNR uses , and there is a realistic chance that at least some are not pure grey wolf . So for your sake even if only one out of 3500 is coy , well letís just say that shuts down your one in a million theories ..
I stated many times before the federal protection definitely needs to be lifted so wolves in Mn , including coys should be thinned to a much lower carrying capacity. And I do again repeat that why is a less than 100 % pure grey wolf protected . A 100% purebred Golden Retriever is pure 100 % golden retriever , if there is anything else there in his genes well then that beautiful dog just ainít pure , is it??

Coyotes need to be thinned out also ,as they are tough on our deer herd also , Iíve got trail cam pics of them carrying fresh killed newborn fawns . When you run 25 or so cams , 365 days of the year on 750 mostly wooded acres here in northern Mn. for 20 plus years , you would be surprised as to he pics we get ... wolves pure or less than pure and coyotes need to be drastically thinned to protect our less then stellar deer herd , and failing moose herd here in northern Mn ..
Our deer season in Northern Mn will never be the same as the not to long ago seasons we once enjoyed , no way , no how until itís lights out with the wolves . Enjoy these sub par seasons , cause they are what we will have until changes are made ..

Posted on: 2018/7/27 19:59

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page