Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Where are you planning on going this year
Staff Team
From Iron Range
Quote:

Ret-ro wrote:
Winnipeg, Whitefish Bay LOTW, South Basin LOTW are all on the hit list.

I'd love to get to Winnipeg again but heard it's not good for the big greenbacks anymore cause the commercial fishermen changed the sizes or their nets. Your thoughts...?

Posted on: 8/16 23:17:24

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
It's still above average with trophy fish as compared other bodies of water, but it has definitely changed. The fish have seemed to push out to deeper depths than they have in the past and the schools aren't as large as they used to be. There is a monster year class that was 11-13" two years ago, they were 14-16" last year and should take a nice jump this year. It's the trophy fish potential that draws most people from the states up there. With last year being a down year, I predict another drop in pressure from the states. Last years pressure was noticeably less also. I have some good friends up there so I will still be making the trip.

Posted on: 8/17 9:21:36

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Winnipeg is still a bucket list destination for me. Maybe someday..

Posted on: 8/19 7:54:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
Upper Red Lake for sure in January but hopefully first ice also. Next year (2019) if Ret-ro has room I would love to come up and make a few more trips. Hopefully Mil Lacs with some friends that live on the lake and they can show me how to put them on the ice...........Kirk

Posted on: 8/21 16:11:46

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
Quote:

Kirk wrote:
Upper Red Lake for sure in January but hopefully first ice also. Next year (2019) if Ret-ro has room I would love to come up and make a few more trips. Hopefully Mil Lacs with some friends that live on the lake and they can show me how to put them on the ice...........Kirk

Chuckle! If things remain as they are Kirk, that would be "Show you how they put them back down the hole".

Posted on: 8/21 17:45:12

LSF Member
From Manitowoc county
Going up to Red with Bear Paw over new years for 4 days. Bringing some southerners up who have never been on ice. Probably go to lotw in march, would like to do early ice to devils lake. I will plan one other trip, but i will worry about that when duck hunting is done.

Posted on: 8/21 19:38:09

Staff Team
I hear you Bandersnatch, hopefully maybe keep one or two but maybe I should just hope we can fish for them. We will be on Red lake with Bear Paw also for the 31,1st,2nd leaving the 3rd. Great times ahead..........Kirk

Posted on: 8/26 14:31:51

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Staff Team
From Iron Range
Quote:

Ret-ro wrote:
It's still above average with trophy fish as compared other bodies of water, but it has definitely changed. The fish have seemed to push out to deeper depths than they have in the past and the schools aren't as large as they used to be. There is a monster year class that was 11-13" two years ago, they were 14-16" last year and should take a nice jump this year. It's the trophy fish potential that draws most people from the states up there. With last year being a down year, I predict another drop in pressure from the states. Last years pressure was noticeably less also. I have some good friends up there so I will still be making the trip.

I would love to give it a shot again myself but I don't know the lake or have the electronics to go myself. I went with a buddy the 1st time & he had a nice GPS on the snowmobile etc & had fished the lake before as well. When asking him about another trip he's not interested cause he says it's gone too far downhill. 😕

Posted on: 8/27 12:13:58

LSF Member
From Ham Lake
I snowmobile out of Crane Lake into Canada for Lake trout. Going to focus on getting a big one instead of eaters like last year.

Posted on: 8/30 13:54:55

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page