Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Mandatory Boat Wash - Lastest news
LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Boy, I haven't picked out my wardrobe yet!

I think I will be in a Black Abu Garcia short sleeve shirt or maybe a Fenwick one, haven't decided yet.

Yes, thanks to those that have written in their comments.

Posted on: 8/23 13:49:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
I'm unable to attend tonight, but I did voice my thoughts via email to both the DNR and WC.

Posted on: 8/23 14:19:50

LSF Member
I guarantee the Wright County Board's perspective at this evening's meeting (and going forward) is NOT going to be giving a fair voice to those opposed with the intention of allowing their decision to be informed. They've already made their decision. Their perspective at this hearing is that it is merely a formality, so that they can go back to the DNR and say they've checked the public hearing box. The only way opposition has a chance is massive, articulate, organized opposition, with both the DNR and WC getting the message loud and clear.

So be prepared with comments. If you're not confident in your public speaking articulation, write down your thoughts ahead of time and read them aloud. Show the right amount of genuine emotion to convey your displeasure, while maintaining a respectful tone.

And if someone is willing and able, a video recording of the proceedings would be very welcome.

Posted on: 8/23 14:25:23

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
I went to the meeting last night, which was more like an Open House. They had no speaker or gave no presentation of the Plan. You just walked around and talked to some County Reps and two DNR reps. They did have some lake Assoc people there too, but I didn't bother talking to them.

What I got out of it from the DNR was, write in your concerns to them. They have the final power. At least to me, it seemed DNR lady was not impressed with the meeting and pointedly said, They can build all the washing stations they want, but until we approve it, it would just be voluntary. Talking to County Reps and a few old friends who are lake owners on John, they want this thru now. They said it keeps getting pushed back. They are ticked at the DNR. We did all agree on one thing, that we all don't like that AIS is spreading.

So morale of story, write the DNR, County and your State reps! If you could only write one letter, send it to the DNR.

DNR - wip.dnr@state.mn.us
County - AIS@wrightswcd.org

MarineMaster and MrPike, nice meeting you guys last night! I'm sure you guys have some more comments about it.

Posted on: 8/24 7:32:25

LSF Member
You bet I got comments.
As Spoonbill said people we need to send comments in.
Especially to the DNR.
I found the meeting a set up as for them to say they spoke with the people.
There is so many holes in their plan For one we already get checked at the landing. Why get checked again.
You can guarantee if you go to their site you will get washed every time you go there.
If this does go through I believe I will be finding new lakes and a new town to spend my dollars at.
In short here I would echo exactly what Spoonbill said.
It was very nice meeting you Spoonbill and MarineMaster We all have one goal we care about the lakes.
This proposal is not the way to get it done.

Posted on: 8/24 8:31:45

LSF Member
From Buffalo, MN
I sent off an email to the DNR voicing my concern with this and my opposition to it. There are better ways to go about preventing the spread of AIS. Forcing a boat wash prior to entering already infested lakes is not one of them.

Posted on: 8/24 12:38:55

Field Staff
From Clearwater\Kimberly
I agree was great to put faces to names last night, and thank you to all of the anglers/boaters that showed up. We showed up in full force.

I got a ton of info out of the meeting (if you could call it that) including alot of questions answered. I dont think we left till 9:30 last night.

I was interviewed today by the annandale advocate as they were unaware that there was any opposition in this pilot program. So it did alot of good having us there last night honestly. We have potential to have another go at this publicly to see if we can get it right. Anglers/boaters have a ton in common with lake shore owners associations we all want the same thing. To ultimately slow down the spread. Lake associations know that this program will do nothing to stop the spread of starry stonewart they admitted it last night.

Im still working on a full right up and will post it here later.

Posted on: 8/24 15:56:47

LSF Member
Thanks MarineMaster.
Thank you for doing a write up it is greatly appreciated.
I don't know what I can do to help but let me know if there is.
I did write the DNR again today with what I found out last night.
They didn't think there was any opposition? sad they are that short sited.
Again Thank You.

Posted on: 8/24 18:12:39

LSF Member
Since I was unable to attend Weds night, I'm wondering if those who did attend could shed some light on the general tone of the gathering. Were there lots of people in opposition? Lots in favor? A mix? What was the attitude of the board members or other officials in attendance? Was there any indication from anyone in an official capacity (like the DNR for instance) that this could be stopped? If so, any indication how, aside from sending emails?

Posted on: 8/24 22:00:26

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
I would say a mix, but hard to tell since you just asked your questions to the County/Dnr by your self or with whatever little crowd gathered around them at that moment. It wasn't a meeting where you heard everyone ask their questions. I thought there was a pretty good boat/fishing crowd there. I think it kinda caught the lake owner crowd off guard.

Didn't really talk to County board members. Did talk to Alicia Ohare from county. I also new a couple that were lake owners so got a bit of the other side. The lake owners and County(Alicia) wanted this thru 2 months ago is what I gathered. Reason of Property values did come up. They think the DNR is doing nothing and should let this run thru. They are also for Float the Boat. They thought that was a done deal, but DNR is definatly saying no way on that deal. I believe there is no concern about impact of boaters on the county/Lake owners side. Only concern about their lakes being ruined forever. Just what I gathered on that front.

I asked Alicia O., so if I want to fish or hunt John at 4am and I live 30 miles away how would I do that? She knew what I was getting at. She said yes, you would have to drive out before hand to get it cleaned and then drive back out the the day you want to go out at 4am. I said that doesnt work!

Dnr is the one stopping it right now. They have final say. Though they said it could go thru as a trial to see if it even works, since it never has been done before in MN. She said write us and write your state reps.

I just have a feeling it will keep coming up in different forms as things get shot down. Just means we have to keep track of it and keep writing in.

Posted on: 8/25 7:20:14

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page