Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

What's with all the new portables, I want a floor!
LSF Member
From Plato, MN
I have a very old suitcase style house that I love but I don't think it will get through another season so I've started shopping around for a new portable, why are there so few made now with a full floor like the old suitcase style houses? Having a floor makes a huge difference in the comfort level and without one frankly I would just assume fish in the open, which I often do anyways. Am I the only one who likes having a floor? I especially like the fancy "insulated" portables, that makes no sense to me when your still sitting right on the ice! My uninsulated suitcase house with a carpeted floor stays nice and toasty with a small buddy heater even on the coldest days. What I really would like is a nice condition Clam Sleeper but they're hard to find...

Posted on: 8/18 22:08:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What's with all the new portables, I want a floor!
LSF Member
Canvas craft makes a nice suitcase with floor.

Most people want light weight or something small enough for trunk or sled.

Posted on: 8/18 22:39:20

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
Thanks for the heads up! Their 8x8 cabin kit is exactly what I'm looking for

Posted on: 8/19 7:26:52

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
I had a canvas craft 8x8 insulated. It was awesome, though a little heavy. The only reason i sold it was that I went back to a 6-1/2 foot box on my truck. The 8x8 folds up to 4x8, so it wasnt agood fit fo the shorter box. I would highly recommend the house if yu can haul it.

Posted on: 8/19 8:30:55

LSF Member
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
I had a canvas craft 8x8 insulated. It was awesome, though a little heavy. T.

A little heavy? LOL We have the non insulated and it's a beast. She only goes out with an ATV or snowmobile. That said, it's an awesome house!

Posted on: 8/19 11:26:12

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
It looks like a really nice house! Did you guys make a sled to drag it around the lake on? How was the uninsulated one? My cuurent house is jusr plain canvas and I have no problem keeping it warm but it's only a 4x8.....

Posted on: 8/19 12:49:06

LSF Member
Quote:

YellowSubmarine wrote:
It looks like a really nice house! Did you guys make a sled to drag it around the lake on? How was the uninsulated one? My cuurent house is jusr plain canvas and I have no problem keeping it warm but it's only a 4x8.....

Insulated is always better IF weight is not an issue or money. I don't own one insulated house other then my perm as I like to go light and for me, I've never had issues of being cold in a non insulated house...

As for dragging it out, we made a roughly 4x8 sled out of 2x2's (frame only) that sits 6-8" off the ice over a set of old skis. With limited snow it actually drags descent by hand if not going far. But 99.9% it's towed via ATV and the height keeps the snow from blowing on the top.

Posted on: 8/19 13:48:23

LSF Member
Check our the PolarBird thermal hub shelters. They have some type of floor. A lot of people leaving good reviews on them.

Posted on: 8/19 15:45:20

LSF Member
From glencoe
Don't know how big a house you want but did you ever check out a bay runner by shappell. nice enclosed unit and easy to move to different spots.

Posted on: 8/20 7:30:01

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

sunniewally wrote:
Don't know how big a house you want but did you ever check out a bay runner by shappell. nice enclosed unit and easy to move to different spots.

Had never heard of or seen one of these before. Just looked it up, looks pretty cool.

Posted on: 8/20 7:53:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page