Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

What's up with the rice
LSF Member
I was out on Leech a couple weekends ago, and noticed that this year's crop of wild rice looks especially weak. Some areas that usually have chunks are rice have none this year, and some usually large beds are down to scattered patches. Center Rice in Boy Bay is also a shell of its usual self. Any idea why? High water this spring? Other plants crowding it out? I have noticed a weird type of plant that I haven't seen much of before in areas where there is usually rice. It only grows in shallow water, and in some areas it forms a dense bed from the bottom all the way to the surface. Just curious!

Posted on: 8/28 12:39:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What's up with the rice
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Starry stonewort? Not sure about that. We just spent the weekend on the whitefish chain which isn't all that far from leech and the rice looked excellent. Better than I recall it ever being.

Posted on: 8/28 17:25:56

Re: What's up with the rice
LSF Member
That's the weird thing - a lot of lakes and rivers in the area have amazing crops of rice this year, but Leech is the worst it has ever been. A friend was out on Leech yesterday - he has fished Leech for 40+ years, and said he has never seen such pitiful rice on the lake.

Posted on: 9/22 10:47:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page