Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

How many days in a season are you on the water?
LSF Member
So I started a log book a few years back. Last year from the time I can get a boat out until ice up I was out 171 times last year. This year so far 141 times. how many times roughly are you guys and gals out a season? I will say last year I got my new boat this year my back is starting feel all those waves hee hee. Just wondering if that's a lot or if others are out way more.

Posted on: 8/28 21:29:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How many days in a season are you on the water?
LSF Member
wow...and how many days have we had no ice? That's damn near every day...Do you work? LOL

Posted on: 8/29 8:22:38

LSF Member
Quote:

pulleye16 wrote:
wow...and how many days have we had no ice? That's damn near every day...Do you work? LOL

No kidding! Today, 8/28/17 is the 241st day of the year. Based on mrpike's posts, I'm assuming he lives around Wright County. Based on the ice out map, I'll use March 20 as the avg ice out date, or day 79 of 2017. So realistically 162 days or 23 weeks of open water. Really, just 21 days NOT on the water?! 6 times a week?!

Posted on: 8/29 8:53:42

LSF Member
OK! by the replies I guess I do fish a lot then. I was out on Feb 28 this year on the river cold but had to do it, Just to say I was on the water. That was the start. I average about 5 days a week fishing and yes I do work. However the wife and I have no kids so all we have is work and fish. I really thought a lot of people fished way more than me.

Posted on: 8/29 9:31:18

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Unless you guide for a living or are retired it would not be possible to fish more than you. 2-3 days a week would be on the average for a single person or a couple with no kids, if not slightly above average in my opinion. Most with families have week night activities that roll into weekend activities and if you can't sneak out for a Saturday afternoon or early Sunday your hands are tied. You seem to be doing it right.

Posted on: 8/29 12:54:20

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Even if I lived on a lake and counted going down to the dock to cast a few times in the morning or evening I wouldn't be able to match your numbers.... I'm jealous to say the least.

Posted on: 8/29 13:16:53

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Well doing some calculations similar to making the, 'Jump to Light Speed in the Falcon', I came up with maybe 80 days or so the last couple years.

Fishing days = Once a week is 52, plus for half the weeks maybe 1 or 2 extra days, minus some for not fishing much between ice out and opener. Kids are older, done with sports and can drive themselves around now!

At peak of kids being in activities, plus duck hunting more/snowmobiling more, I maybe fished 15-25 days a year. Also didn't ice fish back then.

Posted on: 8/29 14:56:14

LSF Member
The last few years I'd say I average about 10 days of fishing during the open water season which includes 5 days at a cabin each year. Had to skip the cabin this year because we moved into a new house this summer so this year I'm lucky if I've been out 5 times.

2 young kids (4 years old, and 1 year old) and both the wife and I work and have busy jobs that don't always get left at the office. Those factors plus all of the normal stuff life throws at you really cuts into my fishing time.

Before kids I was out a lot more.

Posted on: 8/29 15:40:19

LSF Member
I think I figured out a little confusion I should have said fishing trips not days. On weekends I fish 2 lakes a day sometimes. That's why the number is higher my fault my mistake.

Posted on: 8/29 18:07:37

LSF Member
From mora mn
Open water I have about 20 or so days on the water. Now when them lakes freeze up it's been a minimum of 3 days a week as many at 5-6. Now with a 2 months old we'll see how this year goes.

But then again I am picking this machine up on Friday so I will have to go out a good amount

Attach file:

jpg  _20170829_201430.JPG (103.51 KB)
16463_59a612379ceb5.jpg 720X617 px

Posted on: 8/29 20:17:59

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page