Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Wheelhouse flooring help
LSF Member
Does anyone know how the wheelhouse manufactures put down the rubber coin flooring so it won't ripple?
I'm on my third attempt to get my g-flooring (rubber coin) to lay flat with no ripples. I've tried laying it out in the sun, installing it on a warm day, stapling the edges, the flooring is not touching anything except of course the catch covers, which are screwed down on top of the flooring. I get the same results every time. Should I try adhesive? I've been avoiding that because as others have mentioned, it may be a bitch to remove, and I have read that it may not adhere to green treated material. Could I be having this problem because I have a Yetti, and the aluminum expands and contracts more? The house color is all black and it does get very hot inside during the summer. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated before I give up and find another type of flooring.

Posted on: 9/6 18:21:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wheelhouse flooring help
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
I bought a Firebrand shell going on 2 years ago and I chose to go with carpet. I was gun ho on using the rubber floor. I changed my mind when I went to a dealer to look at a few different houses. both of the ones that had rubber floors had the ripples that you are describing and both were the same "coin" look rubber flooring. To me, it was a cosmetic thing. I am dropping good money on this thing and I shouldn't have to deal with something like that.

Not 100% sure if you will ever get away with not having the ripples. Hopefully others with rubber floors can chime in with reviews of their houses. I too would avoid adhesive if at all possible.

Posted on: 9/7 9:05:59

LSF Member
I can't help with the flooring, but I went with carpet in my Firebrand shell and I am really happy I did. I was hesitant, everyone says carpet is a bad idea.... it is absolutely awesome. With the furnace on it's dry in a matter of an hour or two, it has yet to have any odor and I have fished and camped in this thing for 3 full seasons now. I thought I would just shampoo it once a year to keep it clean, but that hasn't been necessary at all. I do have a small area by the door with pressure sensitive vinyl floor, that probably helps with the snow/ice coming in the house on our shoes.

If I was you, I would go to menards and buy the cheap indoor carpet and be done with it.

Posted on: 9/7 9:33:12

LSF Member
From Zipple Bay & Plymouth
Have firebrand house with rubber floor. No ripples in 2 years. Easy to clean and always dry quickly after drilling holes etc. only way to go. Call firebrand and ask how the install and if the use adhesive.

Posted on: 9/7 9:35:54

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Sheet flooring needs adhesive or tension to keep from rippling usually. You could put adhesive down in snake trails instead of smearing the entire floor?

Posted on: 9/8 7:24:35

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Quote:

brian6715 wrote:
I can't help with the flooring, but I went with carpet in my Firebrand shell and I am really happy I did. I was hesitant, everyone says carpet is a bad idea.... it is absolutely awesome. With the furnace on it's dry in a matter of an hour or two, it has yet to have any odor and I have fished and camped in this thing for 3 full seasons now. I thought I would just shampoo it once a year to keep it clean, but that hasn't been necessary at all. I do have a small area by the door with pressure sensitive vinyl floor, that probably helps with the snow/ice coming in the house on our shoes.

If I was you, I would go to menards and buy the cheap indoor carpet and be done with it.

I will echo brian's comment about the carpet drying up fast. mine will be even faster once I get my furnace ducted to the floor the way I want to. FYI, finishing a shell takes a LOT longer than I thought. Granted I don't get to work on it as much as I want to, but it takes a ton of time if you want it to turn out right the first time. Knowing what I know now, I could get it done a lot faster.

Posted on: 9/8 11:36:05

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
IC glues and rolls the rubber floor. This video may help with some of the methods used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqk_q6H6KYg&t=781s

Posted on: 9/8 14:08:24

LSF Member
What about contact cement? That stuff works excellent for boat carpet that's out in the elements all the time. Once it's down, it won't budge. I'd have to believe it'd hold your flooring as well.

Posted on: 9/12 16:21:16

LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
I've used trowel on adhesive from menards on a few of the houses I've built. Easy to apply and bonds the rubber to the ply.

Posted on: 9/13 9:02:18

LSF Member
Glue it down and let it set before screwing the catch covers down.

Posted on: 9/14 15:19:17

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page