Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

opening weekend grouse hunting
LSF Member
From The shack
Went to the shack this weekend just out of Ely with my 7 year old. 25 miles on the four wheeler and 3 hours of walking to see 2 birds. I herd they were supposed to be up this year but this is the least amount of birds we have ever seen. We got checked by the warden and he said he has checked a bunch of people not a single bird for any of them.Wondering if anyone had any luck?

Posted on: 9/17 18:59:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: opening weekend grouse hunting
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
You are the 2nd person I've heard tell this story already this weekend. Very surprising as they were suppose to be up this year and climbing towards a peak in population...

Posted on: 9/17 19:13:09

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I only seen 2 in a good amount of miles too near Moose Lake. I was surprised. But it was very poor conditions with wind and rain. I hope it gets better.

Posted on: 9/17 19:16:23

LSF Member
I got one yesterday and quite a few flushes but there were too many leaves on the trees to see them. Also heard a grouse drumming. Is it normal for them to be drumming in the fall?

Posted on: 9/17 23:41:19

LSF Member
From Osseo MN
walked all our usual spots for hours and we didn't flush a single grouse. but we had a close encounter with the dog flushing a turkey north of McGregor. that's a first! think I heard one grouse flush on the opposite side of the road from our property and we flushed one woodcock only. it was disappointing but at least we got out. even had blue skies for one hour lol between gloomy and rainy times.

Posted on: 9/17 23:41:54

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I bet that got your heart going when the turkey flushed out. Last time my dog did that we both about had heart attacks, my dog went running the opposite way! They are such giant birds!

Posted on: 9/18 6:45:46

LSF Member
From mora mn
Went for 4 hrs. Dog pointed a decent amount of woodcock but only one grouse in a tree. In an area where there were lots of birds last year.

Posted on: 9/18 9:36:26

LSF Member
From Mesabi Iron Range
Walked for 3 hours didn't see a WC and only flushed two grouse. Still very thick in the woods, it'll only get better as the woods thin out.

Posted on: 9/18 10:31:08

LSF Member
From The shack
The woods was still thick but it is every opening weekend it is to be expected. We just didn't see the numbers that we are use to. Kinda makes a guy question the drum count and it's accuracy. Time will tell.

Posted on: 9/18 10:51:49

LSF Member
From Minnetonka
It's the god damn turkeys. I can't believe the way their range has expanded. They LOVE to eat grouse eggs.

Posted on: 9/18 20:52:19

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page