Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Grouse on public land
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Hunting public land you definitely have to be willing to go where others aren't especially after the first week or 2 no matter what kind of game you are hunting. If it's grouse, go off the beaten path you will be rewarded. If it's pheasants push those cat tails!

Anyway, plenty of birds to be had on public land you just have to be willing to push a little farther than where others will go, the reward is almost always worth it.

Posted on: 9/29 0:35:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
Hunting public land you definitely have to be willing to go where others aren't especially after the first week or 2 no matter what kind of game you are hunting. If it's grouse, go off the beaten path you will be rewarded. If it's pheasants push those cat tails!

Anyway, plenty of birds to be had on public land you just have to be willing to push a little farther than where others will go, the reward is almost always worth it.

Agreed if you don't have scratches on your face and poked in the eye a couple times by branches your not grouse hunting

Posted on: 9/29 1:07:32

LSF Member
Don't believe what the DNR say about drumming reports. Hunted hard for 4 days had 9 flushes got 3 between 2 people.

Posted on: 9/29 9:05:38

LSF Member
From St. Paul
Quote:

bean357 wrote:
Don't believe what the DNR say about drumming reports. Hunted hard for 4 days had 9 flushes got 3 between 2 people.

What part of the state were you hunting?

Posted on: 9/29 12:25:03

LSF Member
Id be hesitant to start blaming the DNR on their drumming counts this early in the season. Ive gotten plenty of flushes and am hearing lots of drumming as well.

Posted on: 9/29 13:05:05

LSF Member
South of Roosevelt in the Beltrami forest

Posted on: 9/29 14:48:10

LSF Member
From On the fish!
Quote:

bean357 wrote:
South of Roosevelt in the Beltrami forest

I haven't been up this year but have hunted the area since I was eight and I'm now thirty and have never seen numbers fluctuate a whole lot it's always better later in the year there has been some years where there were low numbers but unless your willing to put on the miles on your shoes and not your wheels your not going to have the success you desire plain and simple there are just to many people driving around looking for the easy birds find good looking trails and head off of them in the woods I like walking the trails until I find some god habitat then it's off the beating path from there in a dry year like this look for water and swamp edges with good cover especially low cover my mom raises free range chickens and when it's dry they drink tons of water the grouse donthe same

Posted on: 9/29 20:23:03

LSF Member
From Duluth
Reading drumming survey results, best place per the 2017 report to find birds will be the northeast arrowhead. Northwest and Central hardwoods populations still rising. Although my thought would be same as others,wait for the leaves,brush to drop,hit the swamp,river edge. Boots on the ground,,,that's why they call it hunting. Good luck and be safe.

Posted on: 9/29 20:41:24

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
IMO, drumming counts are only a SMALL portion of the puzzle. Spring nesting conditions are the #1 determinant of fall huntable populations. Grouse have 10-12 egg nests...... good conditions = lots of birds.

Yes, there are trends/cycles/drumming counts, but overall, I do not believe there is a more significant factor than spring nesting conditions. (Plus clear cut logging practices.....damn the selective cut mindset up north!!!!!).

We didn't have a great spring.

Posted on: 9/29 21:46:56

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

Shortline wrote:
IMO, drumming counts are only a SMALL portion of the puzzle. Spring nesting conditions are the #1 determinant of fall huntable populations. Grouse have 10-12 egg nests...... good conditions = lots of birds.

Yes, there are trends/cycles/drumming counts, but overall, I do not believe there is a more significant factor than spring nesting conditions. (Plus clear cut logging practices.....damn the selective cut mindset up north!!!!!).

We didn't have a great spring.

I'd be inclined to agree with that SL,,,in theory but,not being a wildlife expert one can only go on personal experience and or opinion. It's a big state,my view from here (LSF) being limited,all things considered,I'm gonna wait for awhile before calling it another down year.

It would be interesting to revisit this after deer season with a few more reports. Thanks for sharing

Posted on: 9/30 0:03:48

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page