Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro Review
LSF Member
From Ramsey
I recently purchased and installed a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro in replacement of a Garmin unit (93sv) that I spent most of the summer being disappointed with. I have to plug Reed's (https://www.reedssports.com/) for going above and beyond in support of their customers. They offer great pricing, super-fast shipping, and as a long-time repeat customer they did things for me that they didn't have to in resolving my Garmin issues.

Back to the review --- After using the Garmin unit I found that like most complex devices, it can do 101 things, but the average user only really wants to do 5 of them. A guy will get past having paid for features he doesn't use, but the hassle of having to skip through unused features will remain for as long as you use the unit. These weren't my only Garmin issues, but that's another story...

I'd thought I'd replace the Garmin with something from Lowrance, but the product line that offers just the things that I want to do isn't reviewed very well and as you move up to better performance you also get features and cost that I don't want or need.

I looked at Humminbird again, but aside from their great display quality they just didn't appeal to me.

I revisited the Raymarine offerings. I'd shopped them previously and while the reviews are great they just aren't all that popular with us freshwater guys. Their display is as good as any of them and the user interface is simple and intuitive. I went with the Dragonfly 7 Pro with included Navionics mapping chip because it offers the features that I'd used all summer on the more complex unit - GPS lake mapping, traditional sonar, and down-view. The Garmin offered side-view and lake-mapping but after the novelty of these wore off I just didn't find myself using them.

After using my Raymarine a handful of times I can say that I'm very pleased with its size, performance, ease of use, and cost. I've ordered a second ram-mount and power cord and I plan to use it in the truck during ice season this year.

If you're an "average user" I think you'll really love the Dragonfly 7 Pro. Reed's doesn't carry this product line, but if they did I'd have bought it from them. I used my Reed's store credit from the Garmin return to upgrade my Marcum ice gear --- all's well that ends well.

Posted on: 10/2 9:39:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Raymarine Dragonfly 7 Pro Review
LSF Member
From minneapolis
thanks for the review. im in the market for my first fish finder for my new to me boat. ive only fished out of boats a few times, so im not sure what im really looking for. i was looking at the 73sv. yes, loaded with features. but what the heck do i know? i dont even know exactly what im looking at when looking at a fish finder. i only know how to read a flasher . simplicity is key for me. ill look into the dragonfly

Posted on: 10/2 19:16:10

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

icefisher83 wrote:
thanks for the review. im in the market for my first fish finder for my new to me boat. ive only fished out of boats a few times, so im not sure what im really looking for. i was looking at the 73sv. yes, loaded with features. but what the heck do i know? i dont even know exactly what im looking at when looking at a fish finder. i only know how to read a flasher . simplicity is key for me. ill look into the dragonfly

I'm sure the Dragonfly will be a very good fit for your purposes. Youtube has a lot of videos which demonstrate how to use each of these and the general concept is the same for all of them.

Good luck.

Posted on: 10/6 16:02:49

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I just wired up an auxiliary power cord with an accessory plug. Raymarine doesn't offer such an animal so I had to buy an extension cord, add a 12volt accessory plug (cigarette lighter plug), and cut off the lead that runs to the transducer.

The unit comes with a 1" ball for a ram mount. I bought a ram mount for the boat to replace the proprietary threaded collar base assembly that Raymarine uses with the ram ball on the unit. I also ordered a cup-holder ram base so now I'll be able to run the unit from my truck during ice season for GPS and lake mapping purposes.

Posted on: 10/15 20:30:28

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page