Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Cass lake cabin owners~
LSF Member
Quote:

BrianHoffies wrote:
Fact is they have every right to take the land back. It was leased, not sold. So as much as it may suck for those affected they knew what they were getting into when they signed on. It also really doesn't matter if they want to put housing on it or raise chipmunks, it's their land.

No sense trying to turn it into a race issue.

I never thought I would say this, but I agree with BrianHoffies.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member

I am a Leech Lake Band member. I bought one of these cabins in August on Cass Lake. The people I bought it from and I came to a fair price and we worked it all out. The tribe approved it and I now have a homesite permit for it as long as I live.

Thing is we only hold a little less than 4 percent of our reservation land. We originally had roughly 800,000 acres that made up our reservation. Under the Dawes Act and Nelson Acts of the late 1800's we lost control of our land. It was open to non-natives and what was left was allotted to individual band members. We now only have 30,000 acres in allotted and trust lands that are Native owned. I'm not sure the history behind the lake lease lots, but it appears to have happened since the 1950's and later.
Snows article lists Eli Hunt as our chair here. Eli has not held office since 2003. He passed away two years ago. Our current chair is Farren Jackson. I believe that was one of the things he wanted to accomplish during his tenure as chair. To revert all lease lands back to tribal members.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 15:12

LSF Member
If I were in these people's shoes, unless I received what I thought was a fair price, my cabin would suddenly develop some serious problems. I would sooner walk away with nothing than see anyone from the reservation enjoy my cabin. They can have the land back with a pile of ruble. This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. I haven't supported a tribal owned property for years. This just adds to the reasons those people will never see my support.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 19:24

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

Loopy wrote:
Quote:

BrianHoffies wrote:
Fact is they have every right to take the land back. It was leased, not sold. So as much as it may suck for those affected they knew what they were getting into when they signed on. It also really doesn't matter if they want to put housing on it or raise chipmunks, it's their land.

No sense trying to turn it into a race issue.

How many thousands of acres of vacant land is there on these reservations that they could build public housing for all these homeless people how long ago?? You know as well as I it is nothing more than a power play on their side.

It doesn't matter, it's their land. Nobody tells you you can't grow flowers on your land.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 20:48

LSF Member
Just wait a few years and see what kind of crap they have left on these lots. Our government keeps building them homes and they keep destroying them and living in filth. I think it's time to let them have their sovereign nation. Let them pay for all of their infrastructure and support themselves. Cut off all government funding since they can make as much money as they want tax free.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 21:49

LSF Member
I don't see a problem here. It is no different then me renting my house to tenants.

My sister coming to me saying she wants a place to stay.
Me telling my tenants the lease will not be renewed at the end of contract.

Michigan just did the same thing
http://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/john-carlisle/2017/04/29/michigan-upper-peninsula-cabins/100594194/

Personally If you built a permanent cabin on leased land that is your own stupid fault.

Who cares the reason they want to use THEIR land.

Posted on: 2017/10/20 23:41

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
If people purchased a lease for X number of years and put a permanent structure on that leased land, they have no one to blame but themselves. If the lease is not up and they are forcing people to sell or move off, then I have a problem with it.

As for the "well rents may go up by 10X". Funny how it is alright for the Indians to unfairly discriminate against whitey but when a group of investors buys an apartment complex in Bloomington and truns it into upscale housing, they get sued and have to pay hundreds of thousands in damages for displacing minorities and low income people.

We all need to be living under the same sets of rules and regulations.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 8:05

LSF Member
This sucks for the homeowners who face getting the boot, but as others have said, how short-sighted would a person have to be to build a permanent structure and make improvements on leased land? You'd have to know that you were building on and improving someone else's property, and if you didn't... well... as I said, shortsighted is a nice way to put it. Clueless, more accurate.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 17:02

LSF Member
The land around Lake Winnibigoshish is the same way, resorts and all. These people all have 99 year leases. I had heard that these areas around Leech Lake are the same way. If that's the case, then these people are truly being screwed. These leases were given with the attitude that they were indefinite. This is probably where the term indian giver came from.

Posted on: 2017/10/21 21:03

LSF Member
I'm a little dismayed at people bringing race into this conversation. I have problems with how the tribes do business, and the way they manipulate state government, and abuse resources.

But it's not because they're Indians. It's because of the nature of the relationship their sovereign governments have with the states in which their sovereign governments reside. They never asked to be relocated to reservations in the first place. But it is what it is. The reservations are theirs. If you don't like it, argue against the treaties that established the reservations and the sovereign Native American nations.

This is the natural result of how the agreement was made in the first place. The tribes are operating in the best interest of their people, within the confines of the arrangements that were made long ago. I don't know how you blame them for that, regardless of how much you sympathize with the people facing eviction.

As Michael Corleone said, "It's not personal Sonny. It's strictly business."

Posted on: 2017/10/21 23:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

Topic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page