Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Fall walleye fishing deep water
LSF Member
From Lakeville
Made it out today and caught fish in 80 fow. Heard they were in 12-15 but no luck. Others came off the water and caught fish in 10 fow. What I can't understand is if the lake has turned over why would they still be in 10'?

Posted on: 2017/10/20 18:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fall walleye fishing deep water
LSF Member
From Minnesota
80 fow? Hopefully you kept them

Posted on: 2017/10/20 21:53

LSF Member
My understanding of lake turnover is that it happens in different parts of the lake at different times. It's not like the lake water suddenly flips over the entire lake. Temperatures throughout the lake's surface water and deep water are dynamic, and interact with each other dynamically.

Plus, walleyes are unpredictable like that some times. They can be at different depths depending on what is holding a particular school. If a school is related to weeds and contour, they might be in 10 feet. If they're related to bait fish, they might be suspended over 80 feet. If they're following baitfish blown into a point by the wind, they may be in 2 feet.

I was bass fishing Clearwater Lake in Wright County on a hot August afternoon, using a 5" Yamamoto and a big 0/5 hook, casting up into the weeds in 3' of water, and dragging the worm over the weed tops. Water surface-temp was 81 degrees. I caught a 16" walleye.

All the countless hours I've chased walleye on Clearwater lake using a handful of typical walleye set-ups, only to come up empty-handed, and then I went and caught one in 81 degree water in 3' with an 0/5 hook while I was trying to catch bass. I have no explanation for why that nice fish was in that water.

Sometimes they're just not where you think they're supposed to be.

Posted on: 2017/10/22 11:53

LSF Member
From Sauk Rapids, MN
Most "stocked" walleye's relate to weeds more often then not because that's where they grow up in the ponds. Not to mention, there is always a source of food that relates to the weeds.

As for lakes with very deep water, sometimes they might not even experience a "turn-over" if the surface layer didn't get all that warm during the Summer months. If the water cools slowly (like this year), it might not have a true turn-over. The surface temp and the bottom temp equal out.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 11:52
#10 Test World Record Holder. Muskie 57" RELEASED!

NHRA Super Stock Drag Racing---because all other sports require only 1 ball.

www.oldhabitsracing.com

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page