Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Question for those opposed to the new Wright County Inspection Regime
LSF Member
It's obvious that the Wright County board and the lake homeowners associations believe that they can strongarm this thing through, weather the storm of resistance, and come out the other end of it all with a "new normal" that we'll eventually accept and move on.

I had the occasion to speak with someone who is IN THE LOOP with those making these decisions, but who is opposed to this. He told me that Lake Sylvia association members have confided in him specifically, that their ultimate goal is to have a gate on Lake Sylvia, and that their desire to reduce lake traffic is the single motive driving this forward.

Just as many of us have suspected all along, this is nothing more than the lake association members pooling their considerable resources, and lobbying county government to use this backdoor method of getting what they've always wanted - more exclusivity and less traffic on the public waterways on which they own land.

It is becoming clear to me that without an organized, concerted effort - perhaps even a funded effort - this will indeed become the new normal. And as other lake associations keeping a watchful eye witness fishermen and boaters accepting this power-grab without a fight, they too will move toward this.

I contend that our very liberty to utilize public waterways is threatened by these people. Unless we nip the Wright County inspection program in the bud in its current form, this will eventually become statewide.

I'm seeing only one way to oppose this: Figure out a way to organize, and make it known clearly to retail businesses in Annandale and South Haven that if this inspection regime moves forward in 2018 without significant changes to address REAL AIS concerns, that their businesses will become a target of boycotts, and that it is in their best financial interest to oppose these new measures.

Fishermen, recreational boaters, and vacationers bring many, many thousands of dollars into these two small communities every Spring, Summer, and Fall. These businesses can scarcely survive without those dollars. I wouldn't suggest that these businesses can do without local support as well. But it is hard truth that many of these businesses NEED BOTH LOCAL AND NON-LOCAL DOLLARS to remain viable. At the very least, putting pressure on these businesses might cause them to bring their concerns to the Wright County board, and might at least get them to plead for some kind of compromise.

So... How to organize for this purpose? That is the reason for this post. It seems clear to me that this forum is not going to reach more than a few handfuls of guys. But social media like FaceBook can reach hundreds or even thousands. I'm thinking of setting up a FaceBook group for those opposed to the Wright County inspection station, inviting those here on this forum to join, and asking each person who joins to reach out to their personal contacts, inviting them to join, and so on, and so on...

If it works, and we obtain significant numbers, then we can explore how to best make our intentions known to those retailers.

Please lemme know what the interest level would be, and if I can get a few guys to do it, I'll set it up in the next few days.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 14:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Question for those opposed to the new Wright County Inspection Regime
Field Staff
From Clearwater\Kimberly
Im in and i know a few other locals that would help as well. Been fighting it since june with little to no avail.

Any little bit will help.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 22:29

LSF Member
I would be willing to help I'm not very computer smart but I can sure try.

Posted on: 2017/10/24 10:53

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I would certainly join the group and invite all my friends. It's a great idea. I have never fished the area, but this has to stop here!

Posted on: 2017/10/24 11:45

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I'd join and know of at least one other who would too. I only ice fish the area but can easily boycott spending money in that area and spend elsewhere.

Posted on: 2017/10/25 8:57

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I guess I'll also add since this website doesn't really see much traffic anymore I'd post this to some of the other outdoor forums too..

Posted on: 2017/10/25 9:03

LSF Member
I'll set something up on FB and we'll see how far we can take it. Gotta try.

Posted on: 2017/10/26 17:33

LSF Member
So here is the facebook page fellas. Needless to say, without numbers, we're dead in the water. Please understand, if we don't stop this now, our future liberty in how we're able to use public waterways is in jeopardy. Please join the page and spread the message to your contacts on facebook and off. If you don't have a facebook page, create one and join. It's now or never.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1501474759942534/

Posted on: 2017/11/1 11:07

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Thanks for setting it up on FB. It also should be a good place to at least share info about the subject and keep people up to date on changes happening with the plan.

I'm on the county email list and did get a reminder that the Inspection/wash station is closed as of OCT 31st. I guess AIS can't be spread by boats in November!!

Posted on: 2017/11/1 12:19

LSF Member
Fake News

Posted on: 2017/11/1 15:33

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page