Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Wonder what the good Dr. has to say??
LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
Mille Lacs advisory committee meets Nov. 2
The Mille Lacs Fisheries Advisory Committee will meet from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 2, at Izatys Resort, 40005 85th Ave. in Onamia. The meeting will include a presentation by Dr. Jim Bence (of Michigan State University’s Quantitative Fisheries Center) on recent findings from an external review of the Mille Lacs creel survey. The committee also will hear a presentation on preliminary findings from the fall assessment, and will discuss the winter fishery on Mille Lacs. Members of the public are welcome to attend and observe these meetings, and 15 minutes at the end of each meeting is reserved for public comments and questions.
The advisory committee of citizens has been active since October 2015. For more information about the committee and DNR’s management of Mille Lacs Lake, visit the Mille Lacs Lake management page. To sign up to receive these email updates, click on “Newsletter” on the left menu and enter your email in the blue box on the page.

Posted on: 10/25 7:16:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wonder what the good Dr. has to say??
LSF Member
From Minnesota
I won't be able to attend. Maybe you can ask a question for me?

" Is your assessment based on figures and data provided the DNR or did your people actually spend time on Mille Lacs and gather your own data?"

I think external review means they used the DNR data but I would like him to answer the question in case I'm wrong.

Posted on: 10/25 10:48:58

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids, MN
I did see this weekend that the Tribe will not gill netting this spring, good. I still would like to see a long term fix for this amazing fishery. There was talk a while ago about a local fishery. I would like to see the tribe kick in along with tax payers for funding. Maybe a special stamp to pay for the effort. Hopefully we are moving in a positive direction.

Posted on: 10/30 8:19:58

LSF Member
Quote:

eyeguy wrote:
There was talk a while ago about a local fishery. I would like to see the tribe kick in along with tax payers for funding. Maybe a special stamp to pay for the effort. Hopefully we are moving in a positive direction.

IMO the lake doesn't need a fishery at all, the walleye population is awesome right now. I don't fish the lake a lot, but the little I have the last couple years it seems like it's super easy to find and catch walleye.

Posted on: 10/30 9:31:38

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
I think a separate facility to grow fish as needed by the tribe might be a viable solution. Still have some tribal spearing,but the bulk of the fish if they really are needed for food can be grown in that facility. The state could help build it to ensure the sustainability of the lake. I think the Mille Lacs tribe might actually do this, but the main issue is the Wisconsin tribes who don't care about the resource or the community as much.

Posted on: 10/30 10:22:03

LSF Member
From Minnesota
If we put a fishery up it would be funded 100 percent by the tax payer. Why would the native Americans kick in a dime to support this. According to the dnr spawning is not an issue it is spawning fish to reach years 2 and 3. It would cost a ridiculous amount to raise walleyes to that age. You are also inviting more than likely a non native strain of walleye into the lake which we have no idea how that would react to the native fish. I say let Mother Nature do its thing.

Posted on: 10/30 11:39:47

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids, MN
Any news from last nights meeting? I would like to see some sort of resolution to the walleye situation. Again I will add that Mr. Dick Sternberg said this would happen. Does anyone have an alternative to gill nets?

Posted on: 11/3 14:10:59

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I wouldn't hold your breath for any resolution anytime soon. Going to stay the same until at least 2020. It has already been agreed too by both sides.

Posted on: 11/3 14:49:43

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN

Posted on: 11/3 16:39:36

LSF Member
From Minnesota
It has basically been set for the next three years. Same regs will happen for next 3 years just depends when quota will be reached and how early each year the hook mortality catches up to quota. We will have 1 fish limit in winters and catch and release in summer..... http://kstp.com/news/three-year-walleye-deal-lake-mille-lacs-minnesota-dnr-and-ojibwe-tribe-angers-resort-owners/4589066/

Posted on: 11/3 18:01:20

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page