Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: New Tires
LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
Quote:

tadder52 wrote:
Cooper AT3s or the ATW's. If you stay the same width you won't notice any loss in traction. If you go wider, you spread out the contact patch which lowers PSI which is what helps you with ice traction. And the wider the bigger footprint you have to plow through the snow and mud.

Lower PSI and widening your foot print will lower ice traction. That is why old time "snow tires" were narrower.

What you are thinking of is snow traction. The wheeled vehicles used in the arctic use extremely wide tires with low PSI to gain foot print so they don't sink in the snow.

Also study siping and what id does for ice and snow traction.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 13:34

LSF Member
I thought the old school skinnier tires were for traction in snow. Pushes less snow with the narrower footprint, therefor better traction. Not sure why they would be better on ice.

I am a big supporter of siping though. Did it on a front wheel drive car I had in college, talked into it by the dealership, and it was the best thing I ever did for that car.

I am also a Hankook supporter, have put them on several trucks and they are a great tire.

I went slightly oversized with my truck recently to get a Michellin 10-ply tire to fit, was told it wouldn't make much difference. Well it did make enough difference that I purchased a Superchips programmer to compensate for the tire size. I like the tires, don't really see any advantage or disadvantage in the bigger size, other than they rub on my mud flaps now.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 15:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From central mn
With your 2016 1500 chevrolet max tire size is 305's combined with a rough rider front suspension lift which also evens the truck out so she's level,no rubbing when done right,if you like the look of your truck sitting higher with added ground clearance you can add 1.5"s to the rear suspension.

295's no lift needed.

Rough rider run's about $400 for the front.

We use a custom tire shop in stillwater Mn if your interested.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 10:50

LSF Member
From central mn
From first hand experience, i will say that putting taller sized tires on can be hard on your drive line. In 2 trucks with bigger tires i went through 4 transfer cases before my 3rd mechanic new the issue. It might not happen often, but it can. I was assured both times that the larger tires suggested would only affect my speedometer, and only by a small amount. Thousands of dollars later, i regretted it.
As far as tire brands go, ive always loved BF Goodys. I put Hancook Dynapro's on my Ram last November, and frankly im quite dissapointed. I never have traction even ideling away from a stop. I used my 4 wheel drive more than ever last winter. I will be putting something else on soon, and put the Hancooks back on in spring. My cousin has Goodyear Wrangler Authoritys on his Silverado. Hes on his 3rd set in 6 years at 75-80000 per set.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 22:57

Staff Team
From Iron Range
If you change sizes, 1 option I suggest is a LT235/85R16
this will give you a more narrow footprint

Posted on: 2017/11/1 7:06

LSF Member
From central mn
Down sizing to a 16" tire from an 18" will require new wheels as well as tires,not to mention the 16" setup will look like small donuts on these trucks,wouldn't fill up the wheel wells..So doesn't make sense.

PS~ As trucks age most folks are unaware that not engaging the 4x4 during summer months (when its raining is best) is good for preventive maintainence,keeps seals/gaskets lubed,think about it.your truck is 3,4 or years old,sometimes older,you only engage your 4x4 during winter months,so yes you'll have transfer case issues down the road,not due to tire size.

Posted on: 2017/11/1 10:39

LSF Member
I would go to a reputable tire shop and talk to someone that knows truck tires. Or visit the Chevy forums on line, there is usually a wheel and tire section and you can see what others with the same truck did and see pictures.

Posted on: 2017/11/1 12:15

LSF Member
From central mn
Ah good advice Brian,chevy truck dealer for 30 yrs here.

Posted on: 2017/11/1 13:26

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
I have had good luck with the AT3's. My current truck 2015 F250 came with the Michelin AT2's and they are a great tire too. They seem to be smoother on the freeway than the AT3's were but it was also on an older truck. You could always just buy a set of winter tires and switch them back in the spring.

Posted on: 2017/11/1 14:48

Staff Team
From Iron Range
Quote:

snow wrote:
Down sizing to a 16" tire from an 18" will require new wheels as well as tires,not to mention the 16" setup will look like small donuts on these trucks,wouldn't fill up the wheel wells..So doesn't make sense.

PS~ As trucks age most folks are unaware that not engaging the 4x4 during summer months (when its raining is best) is good for preventive maintainence,keeps seals/gaskets lubed,think about it.your truck is 3,4 or years old,sometimes older,you only engage your 4x4 during winter months,so yes you'll have transfer case issues down the road,not due to tire size.

Whoops I missed that they were 18 inch. Chevy for a long time ran 265/75R16 so that's why I mentioned 235/85r16 as an alternate size. My mistake

Posted on: 2017/11/1 15:30

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page