Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

old eyes and shooting.
Staff Team
From Bloomington
I am at the point (51 yrs old) that I need cheaters sometimes. I also am probably going to need glasses or such for distance soon.

I had Lasik in 1998 and should be able to have it again. The neat part of that is they correct one eye for distance and one for close up. The brain just makes the adjustment. They test your ability to handle this by having contacts replicate the effect before zapping your eye balls.

My question is how does this affect shooting? I assume using a scope will not really be affected that much but iron sites I assume would be bad.

Has anyone been through this stuff?

What other feedback do you have regarding this.

Does eye domination matter if you had eyes corrected differently, contacts or Lasik?

Posted on: 2017/10/30 8:45

Re: old eyes and shooting.
LSF Member
Man you're old. I'd just give up hunting before you throw a hip out.

I can't help but my shooting eye is my "bad"eye and this year it was so bad I had to sight my gun at 50 yards vs 100...I was struggling. May need that lasik thingy also.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 8:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From central mn
Bich getting old eh? actually@ 51 your in your prime still,scatter gunner? should'nt be an issue with a rifle/scope as stated. My eyes are slipping as well in my 60's,use cheaters but far vision is still good,have floaters on occassion but still knockin birds down.No lasik here.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 10:35

LSF Member
A friend told me he had his dominant eyed fixed for reading and close up work and it screwed up his sight for shooting. So if you can, have your dominant eye set for seeing at a distance and do the other one for reading.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 14:56

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Quote:

painterguy wrote:
A friend told me he had his dominant eyed fixed for reading and close up work and it screwed up his sight for shooting. So if you can, have your dominant eye set for seeing at a distance and do the other one for reading.

I would disagree. Hard to see iron sights if your dominant eye is fixed for distance.

Posted on: 2017/10/30 16:53

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I had an eye exam last night. My dominant eye is my weakest for distance. I brought up shooting concerns and she thought it was a plus to have that eye corrected for distance since my near vision is not that bad....yet. Since my near sight is not bad correcting for distance is better. (know your target and beyond).

It could be different for others depending on what condition your vision is in.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 8:50

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page