Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Remote Temperature Monitoring System Suggestions
LSF Member
From Ramsey
My brother has a lake place north of Aitkin heated with propane. A few years ago the local supplier didn't refill in time and the building froze out. Since then he's been using a device which turns on a light displayed in a window when the temperature inside the cabin drops below the temperature he sets the device for. One of the neighbors is a year-around resident and he watches as he comes and goes. If he finds the light on he checks on the place and he calls my brother, who makes a two-hour drive to see what's up.

I know that there are devices which will send a text message when the temperature drops below a certain point and all of them that I've found seem to rely on landline telephone or internet service. He's had both in the past, but neither is active on the property at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a stand-alone device that will send an alert via text message when the interior temperature drops below the programmed limit? No, I don't believe in magic - I'm thinking about trail cameras that can be accessed remotely and while I know nothing about them I'd guess that they have some means other than cellular telephone connectivity. If this is the case I wonder how these work and if the same connectivity exists for the temperature monitoring device that I'm looking for.

Assuming that there is no such animal, what recommendations for other devices which will do the same thing via landline or internet connection are available and recommended? Another feature that would be very nice to have is the ability to turn up the temp when he leaves home so the cabin is up to temp when he arrives.

I've seen a few devices which allow for cameras and door sensors but I don't think he's really interested in that stuff. I would be, and maybe he'll have a change of heart if these are possibilities so I won't say that this kind of system is out of the question.

Anyway - what advice can you offer on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2017/11/20 17:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Remote Temperature Monitoring System Suggestions
LSF Member

Posted on: 2017/11/20 19:19

I have the basic model Freeze Alarm made by the same company as the above link. Mine requires a land-line but has worked well for the past 10-15 years. Saved me twice when furnace went out in winter.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 10:00

LSF Member
Hey Terry,
We have a climate controlled vault where we store and manage client's data backups and other sensitive information. We use this device to monitor temp/humidity. It also has a detector for water on the floor. You can configure it to notify multiple parties should something go south.
www.itwatchdogs.com/memberfiles/Product/weathergoose_ii_14.pdf

It was very easy to set up.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 12:32

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Thanks all for your responses - I'm sure I can find what I need among them.

This will be a Christmas gift to my brother and his wife, and a modest gesture of appreciation for their allowing us to use their place from time to time.

My brother isn't mechanically inclined, whereas I am. Our father is a retired auto mechanic so maybe he's MY dad and my brother was adopted :) !?!?

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 17:40

LSF Member
From Ramsey
For anyone following, the MarCELL product does exactly what I need it to and at a reasonable cost also. This is the one that I'll go with - but I'm waiting to purchase so that I KNOW I'll get up the cabin and verify cell signal within the 30-day return window.

Posted on: 2017/11/28 18:24

LSF Member
From Waconia
I've used the Marcel product for two years now. You won't be disappointed.

Posted on: 2017/12/3 20:10

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page