Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Ice Fishing clothing/suits. Worth it?
LSF Member
From Monticello
Are Ice Fishing suits (bibs/jacket) worth the money?
Moved to Minnesota a few years ago so kind of new to ice fishing. The last few years I have found myself on the ice more times than the year before. Not only on the ice but being more active on the ice, trying to find the fish. I don’t really get “cold” very easily but have found that getting wet sucks. Wet knees and such.
Was in Fleet Farm yesterday and tried a few on some of the Striker stuff. Seemed pretty comfortable and the idea of anything to help in keeping me float is a nice bonus.
With that being said $500 is a big investment when I already am able to stay warm but I would think that something like this will last quite a few years with care.

Worth the money? Do yall like yours? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks
-Rod

Posted on: 2017/12/2 10:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ice Fishing clothing/suits. Worth it?
LSF Member
From Minnesota
I got my frabil I2 ice suit from the ice show two years ago for $200. I got it on Sunday of the show. I love the ice suit because I don't worry about getting wet anymore when kneeling down and love the bibs.

I think it is worth it but to an extent...I would not spend $500 on a suit just because I can find cheaper options that do the exact same thing.

Overall I think it is worth the purchase, but unless you are going out on early or late ice where you could fall in, I think going the regular ice suit instead of the float suit would be fine. If you want to use it for late season or early season in the boat Frabil has a jacket that is coast gaurd approved, which makes it count as a life jacket as well when fishing.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 11:01

Staff Team
IMHO, no need to spend that much but a great ice fishing bibs and coat are well worth getting. You will see deals in our forums for sale. I bought a complete set of strikemaster bibs and coat for a great price and they keep me warm and comfy in any weather............Kirk

Posted on: 2017/12/2 11:14

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
If I could go back and start over at age 13, it would have been the first thing I bought. There is no substitute for blocking 100% of the wind, being dry, and keeping your knees warm, dry, and protected from the jagged ice when kneeling. A good suit will keep you out there until your other equipment freezes up.

I have the blue ice armor suit. I got it maybe 6 years ago for $300 at Cabelas. I'd advise against any super insulated stuff, buy the blue suit big enough to layer up, that way you can still wear that stuff when it's getting warmer.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 11:44

LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
If you aren't worried about being cold, you could always just go with the bibs to keep dry. You can usually find the previous year's models for a steep discount. I've owned striker and clam stuff and I'll never go away from striker from this point forward.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 11:58

LSF Member
From Monticello
The advice I was looking for, thank you

My plan is to start with just the bibs first as that really is the main issue. Just have to keep an eye out for some sales or maybe Santa will bring me a gift card for Christmas!

Posted on: 2017/12/2 15:48

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I use my deer hunting bibs and jacket, but they aren't waterproof like the ice fishing stuff is. I don't find myself wishing that I could kneel on my knees on the ice so this isn't a concern for me - maybe I'm not catching my share of huge fish that need to be hand-landed???

If they made ice gear that was quiet and in camo I'd have gone that route, but they don't. I picked up Cabela's Stand Hunter bibs and parka in the bargain cave in October and I was VERY pleased with it this deer season. I couldn't have justified the cost if I'd only used them for a few weeks each deer season.

If I didn't deer hunt and was starting from scratch I'd definitely look at the stuff designed for ice fishing.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 19:13

LSF Member
From mora mn
Like other have said the suits are well worth your money. I've had a few different suits and now have striker predator. I was on Winnipeg last year in -40 with wind chill wind blowing 30-40 across lake and I fished outside 90% of day and never felt the cold besides on hands and face. But besides that I don't wear my jacket much at all and have the striker performance hoodie that is wind proof and water proof and mainly just wear that.

Posted on: 2017/12/2 19:41

LSF Member
Clam 2XL blue suit lightly used 1 season no burns or damage, slight smell of success

$150.

Pickup near Chaska

Posted on: 2017/12/3 23:04

Pro Staff
From Fosston, Mn
I have an arctic Armor suit and love it, but if you are looking to save a few bucks and don't always want to wear a set of bibs while on the ice, Duluth trading has some really nice fleece-lined Dry on the Fly pants. I probably wear them 90% of the time I am on the ice now as they are much more comfortable than bibs.

Posted on: 2017/12/4 10:07

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page